1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer refuses to recognize harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angeltherat, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angeltherat

angeltherat Thread Starter

i am afraid to turn off my computer for any reason. i usually leave it on anyway so i usually don't have to worry... but every once in a blue moon my power gets cut off when they have to fix a transformer or something, or if we get an ice storm, i might lose power (we have wierd weather here), or the infamous irregular power interruption.

anyway

the problem is that my computer refuses to recognize my harddrive as installed. when i start up my computer, if i go into setup, it says HARD DRIVE 0: unrecognized drive (or uninstalled or un... something, now i can't remember). all the info is there, i can use my computer fine once i get it started up, but it is getting it started up that is the challenge.

sometimes i have to use the installation CD to go to the recovery console, and fixmbr, restart, hit F8 and then just choose windows XP. other times... well, i am just stumbling in the dark.

it all started when i installed a new hard drive which is completely compatible with my system (i had been using it for back up storage until my last hard drive began to fail). i saved all my documents and such on an external drive (learning from my mystakes) installed a fresh windows xp, and everything seemed fine, until i removed the old hard drive after making sure the new installation was running fine. now my system refuses to recognize that the hard disk is installed on the most basic level.

does this make any sense? am i making any sense?

oh, and i am not allowed to use safe mode... i can't even pull it up during restart.

2. xtreampb

xtreampb

you could aways use a UPS (uninteruptible power supply) for the power problems

3. angeltherat

angeltherat Thread Starter

that only takes care of one of the symptoms, and not the problem itself.

i should mention that the hard drive is a western digital wdc wd1200jb-00fua0 120G

my computer knows it is there but the bios doesn't remember that i actually installed it and that it works.

i remember what it says in setup. if i click on hard disk 0, it gives you the option of Auto and Off, and then the size is undetermined.

should i try reinstalling the latest bios update?

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

To be honest it sounds like your drive is dying very slowly. In the bios it should be set to auto and providing the motherboard isnt 10 years old it should find it no trouble.

Is there another drive on the same ide channel? Is there sata drives in your machine?

5. xtreampb

xtreampb

cmos battery maby

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice