1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer refusing HDMI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IrakiskHummer, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IrakiskHummer

IrakiskHummer Thread Starter

Hi my computer cant connect to HDMI. I've tried several displays and graphicscards but none seem to work..

The computer havent been started in 2-3 months but worked before

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12279 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 119 GB (15 GB Free); D: 931 GB (227 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 465 GB (211 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (1299 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Rampage III Formula
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware, Disabl

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you tried a different HDMI cable ?

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Are you trying to connect to a TV or a monitor and what kind?

4. IrakiskHummer

Yes i have

5. IrakiskHummer

A benq monitor via HDMI and a samsung tv

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

What is the exact model of your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb and your A benq monitor , Samsung TV ? Is it working at all with other cables , VGA,DVI?

7. IrakiskHummer

Sry wrong graphics card its suppose to be Asus strix GTX 1070 OC 8BG and Benq GL2450 I havent tried ant other cable than HDMI since i hove no other monitor that works with the graphics card.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see one big issue here. The nvidia 10xx series cards [generally] need a uefi type bios to function. Your motherboard is too old to have a uefi; you have a legacy bios. Sometimes a bios update to the latest available bios works and you are able to install/use a 10xx series card. As I said, sometimes. It really is hit and miss. Since this was a high end motherboard in it's day, you have a reasonable chance of the update allowing you to use the card. If you are not running the latest bios, you can give that a try. IF you decide to update the bios, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk. Asus has crash free bios, however in my experience, that does not work all of the time.

Note the only way I ever update the bios on an asus board is by using ezflash which is built into the bios. I never update a bios from within windows. Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_FORMULA/specifications/

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand that you are going to have to pull the nvidia card and install a card that does work in order to update the bios [if you are not running the latest bios]

10. IrakiskHummer

Yep have a working one right now, I will try your idea, but could this be it since this all worked 2-3 moths ago? I havent started the computer for a long time.

And there is no chance my graphics card is damaged in some way?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, probably not if it worked previously with the 10xx card. If you do not have the latest bios, you might consider the update however do be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure.

Are you sure the card is fully seated in the slot?

12. IrakiskHummer

Fully seated?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, fully seated in the slot. It is not uncommon for a video card to not be fully inserted into the slot.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice