1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer registered to the wrong person, how do i change it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matt.choules, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Hiya people,

Easy question, how do i change the registration details for my computer... The guy i bought my PC from put in the wrong name and i want to change it...
    ^_^

Matt.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Change the Registered Owner as listed in the Properties of My Computer??

START/Run and type: regedit
    Press OK

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version

Look for an entry; Registered Owner
    double click it and change the value to your name. Save and close

You may need to reboot to see the change....also, this is a registry change, be careful, and backup backup backup...

BTW, this is assuming you are using XP???

3. tjmoes

tjmoes

What if there isn't any entry for registered owner

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

Automate the above process using this utility. (This utility works in Windows 9x/2000/XP)

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

oops, the correct path should be as above except that it's Windows NT\Current Version instead of just "Windows".

6. tjmoes

tjmoes

ok i got it changed but there is a documents folder with old owners name and i can not rename it to mine i change the the atrribs to archive but it still says cant not rename, all my files and programs are in the all users folder :confused: I thought u could just change in the propteries or the security part but it won't :(

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

8. tjmoes

tjmoes

folder is working as a system folder and wont rename even reclaiming it

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

Yep! You can't "rename" a System Folder. Just for fun and to see what would happen, I tried to change the name on an XP Home computer. The Registered Owner was easy but the "named" folder remained in Windows Explorer. I opened the registery editor (Start\Run\regedit) and did a seach for that "name" and changed it on every instance. Took about an hour to do. When I rebooted, XP looked like it does after a fresh install. While all the software was there, none of it worked. Did a System Restore and everything was back including the "name" folder. Bottom line? You will just have to live with the folder(s) or reformat.

Maybe someone here knows a tweak that will change the "name" (not permissions) of a System folder, I'm waiting too.

10. tjmoes

tjmoes

It isnt actually a systems folder I think its the persons users folder in the Doc and settings folder but i noticed that on my other puters the folder is renamed, I just would to change that name

11. ILuvmySailor

ILuvmySailor

Does this same Info work to change the registered name In windows 2000?

12. mike5532g

mike5532g

13. mike5532g

mike5532g

Hi ILuvmySailor, the utility I provided above will also work in Windows 2000.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!