Computer registered to the wrong person, how do i change it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

matt.choules

Hiya people,

Easy question, how do i change the registration details for my computer... The guy i bought my PC from put in the wrong name and i want to change it...
^_^

Matt.

Change the Registered Owner as listed in the Properties of My Computer??

START/Run and type: regedit
Press OK

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version

Look for an entry; Registered Owner
double click it and change the value to your name. Save and close

You may need to reboot to see the change....also, this is a registry change, be careful, and backup backup backup...

BTW, this is assuming you are using XP???

oops, the correct path should be as above except that it's Windows NT\Current Version instead of just "Windows".

ok i got it changed but there is a documents folder with old owners name and i can not rename it to mine i change the the atrribs to archive but it still says cant not rename, all my files and programs are in the all users folder :confused: I thought u could just change in the propteries or the security part but it won't :(

folder is working as a system folder and wont rename even reclaiming it

Yep! You can't "rename" a System Folder. Just for fun and to see what would happen, I tried to change the name on an XP Home computer. The Registered Owner was easy but the "named" folder remained in Windows Explorer. I opened the registery editor (Start\Run\regedit) and did a seach for that "name" and changed it on every instance. Took about an hour to do. When I rebooted, XP looked like it does after a fresh install. While all the software was there, none of it worked. Did a System Restore and everything was back including the "name" folder. Bottom line? You will just have to live with the folder(s) or reformat.

Maybe someone here knows a tweak that will change the "name" (not permissions) of a System folder, I'm waiting too.

It isnt actually a systems folder I think its the persons users folder in the Doc and settings folder but i noticed that on my other puters the folder is renamed, I just would to change that name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online