1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer repairing disk drive forever

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Legendalive, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Legendalive

Legendalive Thread Starter

Hey guys, so here's a little context, I was loading up CSGO when my screen froze, I waited a good 5 minutes but the screen was still frozen. So I shut off my laptop by holding down the power button. When i went to restart my laptop it said "Preparing Automatic Repair"

I waited a while and the text "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" came up. I looked this up and people said they've left their computer running for weeks without any sign of this error going.

Next I shut of my laptop again and press the novo button to get to "system recovery" option but after pressing that all that came up was a bright blue screen with no text on it. Just a blank bright blue screen.

I really need help here guys since I use this laptop for my studying (as well as my gaming) and I really need it!

Any help appreciated! Please save me guys!

I have access to my hard drive since I have Tails downloaded to a separate USB flash drive, so I can see all my folders and wipe them (not sure if this wipes them on Windows too) and I also have access to the Linux terminal if that helps.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First and foremost, be sure you have a backup of anything important ie docs, etc.
    Next pull the drive and find out who mfg the drive. Go to the support page of the drive mfg and download the diagnostic. Since windows will not boot, you will need the dos or boot version. Make the bootable media and boot your laptop with the diagnostic. Run both the long and short test. IF the drive passes ALL tests, then you can either attempt to repair your windows install OR if you are like me, just clean install.

Just a note. Unless you have a gaming laptop such as an alienware or asus gaming laptop, they [laptops] are not really intended for hard gaming.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185441