Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer repeatedly freezing; running slowly; shuts down and starts up very slowly

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  npage2908 
#1 ·
Please help, my computer isn't very useful right now. Here's the deal:

1. My computer keeps on freezing up on me, and I don't even have many programs running. When my computer finally starts up, I log onto windows, and it takes seriously two or three minutes for windows to load; two weeks ago it took 20-30 seconds for windows to load. When windows finally loads, and I click on a program (ie. Internet Explorer or Opera Web Browser), it takes another five to seven minutes for one the programs to appear on the screen, then another minute or two for the program to load. When I close a program, it does one of two things; my computer will freeze, and I'll have to restart it; or, it will take a couple of minutes to close the program. And I'm just working with the basics; Internet explorer, opera, open office, and windows media. I'm trying to add music to my newly added iTunes library, but that's almost impossible.

2. My computer won't shut down. This computer is only seven months old, it's too young for such problems. When I go to shut my computer down, I select the shut down icon from the start menu, and expect my computer to shut down. Rather than shutting down, windows pop up telling me that the programs that I had been running are not responding, and I have the option to wait or end the program. I end the program, and the window comes up again, it's almost like my computer isn't properly responding to its commands. Again I end the program, and when all of the programs have been ended, windows just sits there. I wonder if it remembered I want to shut it down, so I click on a simple program, like Internet Explorer. A message comes up telling me that windows cannot start the program because it is currently shutting down. So I wait. About 90 seconds later, the logging off screen loads, two minutes pass before the shutting down screen loads, and ten minutes later the computer is still “shutting down.” I press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, and everything turns off. I turn the computer back on, wait for everything to load, and then restart the computer, hoping that it will somehow help. It hasn't. I've had to restart my computer five or six times today, and I've only been on it for two hours.

3. I'm also having problems with my speakers. I've played media with a couple of different players; windows media, iTunes, and a few on line players (such as launch); my speakers sound horrible. It sounds like there's a skip in the file that's playing; it sounds like my speakers have something that's skipping, or jumping, inside of them. Not to sound gross, but it almost sounds like my speakers are farting; that's the only thing I can think of to compare the noise to. And it's constant. I don't know if it's in the speakers, or the sound settings. I've made sure my Realtek HD Sound Manager was set to its normal settings; I played around with the speaker's balance to see if the noise only occurred in one of the speakers, I set the balance back when I was done; and I checked on all of the settings in advanced volume control, the seemed fine. This problem with the speakers began a week and a half ago. I was ripping a CD, legal, not burnt, un-scratched, just a normal CD, onto my computer. I was listening to it as I was ripping it, and in the middle of one of the songs the speakers began to vibrate the song. It sounded like it was skipping, or jumping, so I took the CD out and played the same track in another CD player. It was fine. I also checked the CD for lint or scratches, nothing. Since that time, my speakers have been getting worse, I can hardly understand the lyrics when I try to play a song, my speakers used to be perfect. The other two previously mentioned problems also began around the same time; my computer began having difficulties starting up and shutting down, a day or two after the speakers started going crazy on me; the computer freezing began a few days after the start up and shutting down problems began.

I've done everything that I know; I've performed a disc cleanup, removing the unnecessary files; I removed two programs that I didn't use much, FireFox and Trillian; I ran anti-virus programs and the like, AVG, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, and Ad-Aware SE personal; I've tried to defragment the disk, but it keeps freezing. I just tried to defrag it again, and I got the following error message: “The scan has been canceled because an error occurred in file: C:/Acer/eManager/_LanguageFiles/IMAGES/CHECK_ON.BMP

I don't think I've done anything to this file, I wasn't even aware of such a file until just now, when I read that message. I downloaded some songs from the Internet a few weeks ago; and I just recently installed QuickTime and iTunes, when I got an iPod. I have no idea what to do.

I previously owned an Averatec, it was a model that was featured and sold only at Wal-Mart. A few months into owning that, it also began having problems shutting down. I remember having to do something with Service Pack 2. I don't want to do anything more to my ACER, until I know that it will be a help. I'm worried that I may mess something up more, when trying to help, because I'm not a computer pro.

If anyone has any ideas about what may be causing the above problems, or any suggestions of what to do to help them, please let me know. Any, and all help is so greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Jenni

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.