1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarting after new video card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phatmattrat, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phatmattrat

phatmattrat Thread Starter

Ever since I installed my BFG Asylum geforce FX 5200 Ultra... my computer has been restarting most of the time.

When I had just installed it, it did it twice in a period of one week or so... now, just today, it has done it numerous times... I can barely even keep it on long enough to type up support posts. I've posted this on other forums, they seem to think its a temperature problem because my PSU is high enough wattage to support the card and some.

Right now, its at 52C with an ambient temperature of about 35C. This card is not overclocked at all, its stock. The fan works as far as I can see. My case sides are both taken off to promote air flow. My CPU is at 28C.

What can I do? It was suggested a get a firmware update... I don't know what that is. This thing is driving me nuts. It doesn't seem to do it while I'm gaming though... oddly enough... only after I exit the game, or when I enter it. Even playing Doom 3, the card performs nicely. Specs are in my sig.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Possibly a driver issue. Did you completely uninstal the drivers for thye old video card before installing this new card? You may also need to update the drivers for your motherboard's chipset/AGP - this can bve done from Intel's website if you have an Intel Chipset.

3. phatmattrat

Hi. Yes I used ATI's Software uninstall option before installing this card, I put the new card in, installed the latest Forceware drivers and off it went. After that it only rebooted twice in a period of about a week.

Then I installed the Omega NVIDIA drivers over the Forceware 61.77's... it said to install over the old ones in the readme. These drivers gave me crap performance in Doom 3 and other games, so I got rid of them by way of uninstallation. I then re-installed the 61.77's from the NVIDIA folder it made on the C:\ drive the first time around. Maybe I should get rid of these totally, and grab the 61.77's from the NVIDIA site instead?

Or maybe there is a better (older) version to use with the FX5200 Ultra?

BTW, I've got the latest INI chipset update from Intel's site, installed them back when I had the ATI card.

4. phatmattrat

I just un-installed the 61.77's from the Add/Remove panel. Restarted, used Detonator R.I.P. to get rid of registry entries. Downloaded and installed the 61.77's, installed them. So far, its good but its only been a matter of minutes. I also increased the AGP Aperature to 128MB to match the card (as was suggested by BFG). Temperature on the GPU core is at 52C, 35C ambient. Still seems a bit high.

I'll post again if it acts up again.... I hope not. I love this forum, but I don't like when I need to use it :D

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That isn't hot for a GPU. CPU it would be a little warm but GPU's run hotter.
    If you have any more trouble from the card download driver cleaner and use it to remove all traces of the drivers, both ATI and Nvidia and then reinstall.

6. phatmattrat

Been using it for a bit, its working well now... however the BIOS and Windows startup have been acting weird.

When I first turned it on, nothing happened... just a blank monitor... fans were going and it sounded like it was booting, but no display. I restarted, it came on but when it got to the POST, it froze. I restarted again, this time it did the POST but prompted me that "Overclocking Failure" or something to that extent took place and advised me to enter Setup. I did that, and my 1800mhz P4 was listed as a 900mhz Pentium 4.... I didn't know what to do or change, since as far as I knew, I hadn't changed anything to make this happen... so I exited BIOS and restarted without saving any changes. Now I'm in Windows, and Windows says 1.79 Ghz.... However ASUS Probe says 900mhz. It feels normal to me though....

Whats with all this weirdness?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The card may have some unknown compatibility issue with your hardware or it might be faulty.

To correct your CPU speed go into the BIOS and find the CPU settings and set your CPU speed correctly. The CPU frequency should be 100Mhz (quad pumped to 400Mhz), and the multiplier should be 18. You may also want to check the motherboard manual to see if you have the motherboard jumpers set up correctly - which I would guess they are but never hurts to check.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice