Computer Restarting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Darrco

I have an HP, with the Windows ME OS. I have downloaded AOL from a previous account on to the new computer. The problem is that when I sign on to the Internet, I can check my email and send Instant Messages, but as soon as I start "surfing" the Internet, the computer restarts. When I downladed AOL 6.0 it stopped for a little while, but is now doing it again. It has been doing this ever since I got connected t the Internet about 9 months ago. Because I made the mistake of not taking out a service Policy on it, the place I bough it from will not work with me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, and God Bless.

hello darrco...welcome to the board........it would make life a tad easier if you posted your system specs......it sounds like either you run out of memory,if you only have say.......32 meg that could be your problem.......let us know how much ram you have and in how many slots........aol is a big buisness but it wont be responsible for your re-starts,more likely a bad ram stick.if you have all your slots full then take out one stick at a time and see wht happens.......give us a little more to go on if you can.
good luck;)

Darrco

Sorry about the lack of info.... Here are some of my features:
733MHz, 64MB RAM, 30 GB HD. I know that even 64 MB is a little low, and I've thought about upgrading that anyway. I am relatively new in computers so bear with me. Thanks for your help!

Hi darrco,How many programs do you have running at startup?Go to start>Run>type in Msinfo32 click on software enviroment,then startup,Click edit>copy and paste the results back here.Having to many programs running at startup will drain your system resourses.

Darrco

uhhh......okay...here they are....something tell's me this is alot.

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Adaptec DirectCD c:\progra~1\adaptec\directcd\directcd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
AIM c:\program files\aim95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
CSINJECT.EXE c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton cleansweep\csinject.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Delay c:\windows\delayrun.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Hidserv hidserv.exe run All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HPScanPatch c:\windows\system\hpscanfix.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
hpsysdrv c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Keyboard Manager c:\program files\netropa\one-touch multimedia keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MSMSGS c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NAV DefAlert c:\progra~1\norton~1\norton~2\defalert.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~1\norton~2\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton CrashGuard Monitor "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton crashguard\cgmenu.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton eMail Protect c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\poproxy.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton System Doctor c:\progra~1\norton~1\norton~1\sysdoc32.exe /startup .DEFAULT Startup
PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SymTray - Norton SystemWorks c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\symtray.exe "norton systemworks" All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Taskbar Display Controls rundll deskcp16.dll,quickres_rundllentry .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hi Darrco,yeah,thats alot but i dont see any spyware,which is good news.Go to this site and you will be able to see which ones of these programs you can stop running at startup.

http://rselby98.go2click.com/windows.html

Just go down to msconfig,and look at startup,you will be able to print out the whole list and uncheck the ones you dont need running at start.Let us know if this helps.

Darrco

I have figured out which ones can be stoppedat start up, and have stopped a couple of them by going into the actual program, but i thought there was suppose to be check boxes in the next to the programs under the MSinfo32. Am I in the wrong place? Thanks again,
Darrco

HI Darrco,Like rollin rog said you need to go into Msconfig,to uncheck the startup programs.Go to start>run>type in Msconfig,when the window opens,click on the startup tab.You will see all the programs there,uncheck all the programs,you dont want running at startup,click apply,then ok.The computer will want to reboot,click yes.If there is a program that you want to have running at startup again,just go back and put a check mark in the box next to the program.

Let us know if this helps.

Darrco

Thanks for your help guys. I got it figured out, but i am having trouble stopping the Norton Crashguard. I turn it off but when the computer resarts it is automatically turned back on....any ideas? Oh, it hasn't restarted since I turned a bunch of them off..... but it also has only restarted once since i downloaded AOL 6.0 almost a month ago. The crashguard may not be a big deal i guess, but it is annoying sometimes. Thanks again.

Norton Crashguard has made more crashes then it fixes and that is why there is no more Norton Crashguard on Norton's software.

But just go to Add/Remove and deleted Norton Crashguard or Crashguard.

Darco....... I suggest that you do a RAM upgrade to get better performance. 64Mb is not enough for today's systems. I cannot understand why HP sold your machine with only 64Mb or RAM. RAM is so cheap nowdays, that you cannot afford not to upgrade. Go to the site of Crucial and look at memory for your computer and then upgrade. You will not be sorry. Just look at your documentation for how to install. Here is the link:

http://www.crucial.com/

:cool:

Darrco

Thank you guys for your help, you have been very helpful. I will be upgrading my RAM pretty soon. If I have anymore Poblems, I will probably be back for more help. THANKS!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online