1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarts for No Reason

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by skywayne, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a Toshiba Satellite running Windows Vista. This has been a great computer. I've used it for YEARS without any hiccups whatsoever.

All of the sudden, however, the computer randomly shuts down when I'm in the middle of using it and reboots. When it reboots, I get the message that an improper shutdown occurred, and I'm given the option to start in safe mode.

I have turned off "Automatic Shutdown" (or whatever the option is), and I don't think it's a power problem, as the computer is almost always plugged in when I'm using it.

I found a similar thread on the forum that is closed: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/872866-my-computer-restarts-randomly-no.html

My question is how do I test to see what's going on with this computer? I can't afford another one right now, so I really need to figure this out. FYI, I'm not tech savvy, so I'll need people to be patient with me as I work through your solutions.

Thanks everyone!

2. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

I'm also pretty sure that it's not spyware or a virus, and I've restored the computer to a time when it had no issues at all. It's also doubtful that overheating is the issue, as I always have it on a special pad that blows air into it when the computer is on.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

4. dai

dai

turn off the auto reboot
    control panel /system/advanced/startup and recovery settings
    then untick the auto reboot box
    post any bsod error messages the computer freezes on in full

5. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite A305. Here is the other info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4085 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 303735 MB, Free - 146950 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Auto reboot is off, as dai suggested, but it still shuts down, and I have no idea where to find a bsod error message.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Does it just shuts down or is it restarting?

7. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

It restarts, but it doesn't fully reboot. On restart it takes me to a screen asking if I want to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. If I do nothing, after a few minutes it will proceed to start up normally from there.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    After it does one of these restarts, I would close it down in the normal way.
    Then start it back up. This may clear out the hiccup.

It is start up in the safe mode which is not what you want, so when you do the second start up, as suggested above, it should NOT go the the Safe mode selection.

9. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

I've done as you suggested at least 10 times. While the computer will restart normally after I do a shutdown, the whole thing will still randomly blackout and restart while I'm in the middle of working.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Then I would say that you are having a power interruption.

11. skywayne

skywayne Thread Starter

I won't rule that out, but if it's the case, then the interruption is happening somewhere internally, because the battery registers at 100% charge, and it happens even when the computer is plugged in. The way the computer just blacks out is very much like a sudden loss of power, though it always immediately boots back up.

How do I test to see if it is a power interruption, and how can that be fixed?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice