1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarts itself - usually when using graphics or when it overheats

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MEbeME, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Hi guys.

My Desktop is running Windows 7 ultimate and for as long as I can remember, the computer screen goes black (or black with a bit of static) and the computer either automatically restarts itself or stays black that until I restart the computer.

I am guessing that it could have something to do with the graphics card as whenever I watch a youtube video in full screen, or play a dvd, or sometimes even just scroll through my photo album too fast, this occurs.

However, sometimes even when I am just doing a bit of research for college or typing up an essay it will happen (fortunatly Word's document recovery always saves me). Also, sometimes when I am burning a disk.

I unscrewed the side casing and worked with the casing open. The computer does function for much longer with the case open suggesting that it could be a heat issue. Nevertheless, it still restarts often.

I have been trying to reinstall my graphics drivers but as the computer is generic, I only have access to the stock drivers for my graphics card. Device manager has my driver listed as a "VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family WDDM".

The computer is running on an Pentium D CPU 3.00ghz with 2gb of ram. the OS is the 32bit operating system.

Please guys, any idea on what I could do to solve this problem? Thanks to anyone who helps

Any software I could install?? Or different drivers? or any monitoring or scanning software which could identify the problem?

2. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

not 1 reply...thanks guys :(

3. olryst

olryst

Is there a lot of dust build up in your case/fans?

Have you tried another graphics card, maybe pick up a very cheap one to try?

Try GPUz for graphics info/temp.

PSU could be at fault also.

Have you tried searching VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family WDDM in google?

Maybe try this

http://download.cnet.com/Fresh-Diagnose/3000-2086_4-10065841.html

4. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Thanks for that reply...but that program freezes when i try to generate a report.

I tried some updates and different versions of my display adaptor software but still no success.

In the meantime, here is a photo of my computer screen which comes up when I am playing a video or have too many programs open at once:

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will help someone id what the problem is!

5. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Oh, and I did buy a new graphics card but it is too long to fit in the slots inside the computer

6. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Come on guys please reply

7. olryst

olryst

Its not necessarily a graphics problem.

Have a look how hot your cpu and chipset are getting, try downloading core temp.

Also there should be a bit in bios that shows temps, check right after it crashes.

Is there a lot of dust etc inside case, covering components, cloging up fans/heatsinks?

Do you have any fans moving air through your case?

Whats the make/model of your motherboard, you might have an agp slot.

Have you thought about reinstalling windows if you have cd.

8. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Hi thanks so much for your reply

Core temp is not supported by my Intel processor and won't run.

Not sure on how to check the bit in the bios that shows temps.

There is no dust at all inside the case, and the only fan is the one attached to my processor which says intel on it.

Here is what Fresh Diagnose says about my motherboard:

[​IMG]

I have already tried reinstalling windows will no success...the problem persists.

9. Alex090391

Alex090391

I have this same problem. I have tried so many forums and so many solutions, but nothing yet. I have no dust build up, because I cleaned the inside with compressed air, normal cpu temp, so its not overheating, I have tried different graphics cards, still nothing. I also have an Asus motherboard.

10. olryst

olryst

You do have a PCIe slot, what graphics card did you buy?

I had a look on the asus website for your motherboard, asus P5VD2-VM, and the drivers listed are only for windows vista and below.

Apperently all the VIA drivers are included with windows.

Have you tried updating bios?

Take a look at motherboard manual.

look here for manual and bios http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=2sYAtam7ng8vCngf

Try Prime 95 to test your system stability

11. Alex090391

Alex090391

I updated my BIOS for my motherboard, last night and have been doing the Prime95 test since then, and it has yet to shut down, so I would suggest downloading the newest BIOS update for your motherboard and use Asus Update and update it from the file. It will then restart, and I think this fixed my problem, so I would suggest giving it a try.

12. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

But the problem is all the drivers and updates on the Asus site are for Vista...there are none for Windows 7. Will the Vista Drivers work?

13. olryst

olryst

Your motherboard has a VIA P4M900 chipset, take a look here

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/tech_faq.jsp#win7

The bios is not related to what windows you have, just download the latest bios and update it.

Always be carefull when updating your bios, you PC must not lose power/reset during bios update.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice