1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarts on Boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by monkey_magic, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monkey_magic

monkey_magic Thread Starter

Hi,

Last night i was on my computer and it started to run very slowly as i began searching for a file. The Start bar at the bottom of the screen vanished as did all the programs on the desktop. I was able to use programs that were already open with the task manager. I turned the computer off and went to bed assuming it was nothing serious.

When i attempted to turn on the computer today i was given the Safe Mode Option Screen. Where you can choose from Start Windows Normally, Start safe mode (with or without networking) and Last Known Good Configuration.

When i choose start windows normally the computer restarts before the windows loading screen is reached. If i choose one of the other options the windows loading screen opens for a few seconds (and seems to be freezing) and then the blue screen pops up and the computer restarts.

As you can probably tell from my explination i dont know much about computers. I really hope that someone has a solution to this problem as i need my computer to do work due for Monday.

Thank you very much,
    Jack.

ps - I am fairly sure this is some kind of virus but since i know nothing about them i have no idea what kind it could be.
    pss- operating on windows xp and do not have a windows xp disk.

2. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

Please give us as much information as you can regarding the blue screen of death. What does it say? Does it list any files? Would be best if you could take a picture.

SG01

3. monkey_magic

It pops up for such a short period of time that i cannot say much about it and i doubt i could take a picture of it. Sorry i forgot to mention that, the blue screen pops up for less then a second and then restarts. All i can say is that it seems to be about half a page of information although i realise that is very unhelpful =/

4. monkey_magic

[​IMG]

Managed to get a crude picture after a few tries, hope it helps :)

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,have you got the windows xp disc

6. monkey_magic

nope, mentioned that in the first post :)

7. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

I suggest you get a Live Linux disc. Like Knoppix or Ubuntu. You can download Live Ubuntu form the official site, although it has 700MB. You burn it on a disc and boot from it when you start your PC. It will run Linux Ubuntu from the disc and you can back up your files with it on a disc or a Flash disk. Also, you can check if your hard drive is alive.

Download Here and then follow this information:

Do not install it. Using it Live form the CD or USB will allow you to check things on your computer without interfering in your current OS installed on the Hard Drive.

Give us a note here if you manage to run Ubuntu form the CD.

SG01

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980232