1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarts when heat/air Cuts on in the house

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Austinnc, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Austinnc

Austinnc Thread Starter

Well this is very odd and i'm not quick sure how to explain it...First off i have a p3 1ghz 256mbs of ram. What happens is when the heat cutts on in the house my computer will restart it's self this only happens when the heat or air turns on. It wont always do this but it will either do that or when the heat/air does cutt on the HD wil start acting very weird like spinning up over and over kinda like when u first cut on the comp cept when it does it then it only does it one time cept here it does it several times...So if it anyone has ever incounter this situation and knows what to do about this please let me know!!

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Most likely when the ac/heat starts, the motor draws down the power far enough to cause a reboot. What you will probably need is a battery backup unit. They not only smooth out the power supply, but allow a save of data if you experience a power outage. APC, Belkin and many others are available and the prices vary from about $70.00 to several hundred depending on you needs such as several computer in an office setting.

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:eek: Your problem is being caused by the voltage drop caused by the blower motor on your HVAC (Heating,Ventilation and Air Condition) system when it comes on. Apparently the recept. or "outlet" that you have your computer plugged into is on the same phase and possibly even the same circuit as the HVAC systems blower or fan motor. I recommend that you get a qualified electrician to check it out for you. He/she will know what I'm talking about. Another problem associated with this scenario which you probably have noticed is your lights flickering or dimming when the heat or air comes on. Hope this helps. KW1

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D :D Oops you beat me to the punch Paul. Being a master electrician I tend to overlook the battery backup even though I know that it is essential in most instances. :D :D :D KW

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

Definitely call a electrician, I had a (what I thought was) small electrical problem last winter, seems my house had about 20 mins before it would have burned down, Electrical panel had to be replaced!!
    Then, get the ups, well worth the money !!...Rhett

6. Austinnc

Austinnc Thread Starter

WOW yall are quick on posting...Thanks alot guys you have been alot of help! My dad said he would look into the problem.

7. rhettman5

rhettman5

We all forgot !
    Welcome to help on the . net Austin !
    But, beware, the site is addictive. :) ...Rhett

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yes very addictive...lol

you should move your pc to another outlet in the meantime... one thats not on the same circuit.

But do have it checked out.

btw.... where in NC are you neighbor?

9. Austinnc

Austinnc Thread Starter

Sampson County, bout 13 miles from Clinton

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

sorry don't know where that is... oh well

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice