1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Restarts with old and new harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g96r, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. g96r

g96r Thread Starter

Hi,
    My computer keeps restarting. It would keep restarting when I was running windows xp, so I went out and got a new hard drive thinking that is was the hard drive. Well I installed the new hard drive and inserted all of windows xp system disk, when my computer reads the last disk it will restart it self. My mother board is a GA-72xe. Could it be that the motherboard or the processor is going bad. I disconnected all the cd roms and this is still happening. Could someone please HELP.

Thanks
    Robert

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Generally, the mainboard and processor don't go bad gradually---they are working or not working. There isn't any middle state.

Have you looked in BIOS setup lately? You might take a look around. If you see settings about the multiplier or FSB speeds, try lowering them. Sometimes a system can become unstable due to a small configuration problem.

If there is a "default" or "setup" group of settings you can use, try those instead of any "optimized" settings that may be available.

You can also try these hardware tests. They are the same, depending whether you prefer a floppy or a CD.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/pccheck5.50.zip (Bootable floppy)
    http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/PCChk550ISO.zip (Bootable CD)

Look in your manual to see if you can lower the CPU or FSB speeds with jumpers on the mainboard if there are no settings for those in the BIOS. You could start with low settings and gradually increase them until you started having problems.

If the problem occurs even when the computer is cold, heat is probably not a factor. But you could try removing all hardware that you don't absolutely need and see if that helps, returning them one piece at a time.

If you are able and know how, try unhooking the connectors inside the case and rehooking them to insure a good connection. It wouldn't hurt to do that with the processor, too, if the heat-sink and fan are not too difficult to remove. Be sure all fans are turning freely and there is no obstruction to air flow.

If you have another video card you can try, and yours is removable, try that.

Does this happen when there is no hard drive at all?

This sort of problem can be difficult to track down.

3. g96r

g96r Thread Starter

I have tried several video cards. I have removed all hardware, even harddrive and once it read the last boot disk it still restart. This problem also occurs when the computer is cold. I fans are working and there is no obstruction of air flow.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have an XP CD to try to boot from?

It's always possible that something is wrong with the disks.

5. g96r

g96r Thread Starter

Sorry, nope I dont have a boot cd

Robert

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try making a new disk set. Be sure they are fully formatted so that they are completely empty before making them.

If you don't have a CD, what are you trying to do with the disks?

7. thetruetman

thetruetman

I'd bet money that it's the motherboard. I experienced the same thing twice in a short time with Compaq systems a couple years ago. (thread is somewhere on this website)
    Did the same thing, changed everything else cuz Compaq experts said the mobo appeared to be fine, according to them. Changed the mobo, used all the old stuff, had it all running very quickly and still running strong today

8. g96r

g96r Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. It was the motherboard. Transfered all the hardware and it works fine.

Thanks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for the followup. After you had checked everything else, there wasn't much left that it could be, was there?[​IMG]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/309987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice