1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer restored itself?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by glossme, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glossme

glossme Thread Starter

Sep 16, 2012
    A couple nights ago I turned off my computer for the night and the next morning when I restarted it, it walked me through set up like it was a new computer. When I went through the steps I found that I had lost everything, pictures, music etc..... when I looked on the desktop some of my old Icons where still there but when clicked on the info could not be found. PLEASE can anyone tell me why it would have done this???

Jan 30, 2007
    Im not sure as to why that happened but if you can somehow remove the harddrive and have a usb sata/ide connector you might see if anything of importance can still be salvaged.Of course you have to have another working computer to use the connector with. If so i would put all of it on a cd/dvd so it isnt lost forever.Anything that cant afford to be lost should always be saved somewhere in case a computer does fail.
  3. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
  4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

May 12, 2002
    Why hasn't Windows XP Professional SP2 been upgraded to SP3 - which was released in May 2008?

Without SP3 and the post-SP3 high priority updates, you're running that computer in a very outdated and insecure condition.

Leaving photos and music and documents and other personal data in a computer and not backing it up to external media is asking for trouble.

If Windows crashes or the hard drive dies, you can usually kiss it good-bye.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069201