Computer Running extremly slow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

onlygreg

Hi I am running Windows XP my PC is a Pentium 4 1.8Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 40Gig (10gig free). Thats basic specs, there not really important the thing is my system has started to run very slow and im not sure why. My CPU usage is up to 50% when im only using internet explorer?? Im not sure why. I have quite a few startup programs and i can remove some of them i just forget the run command to manage startup programs...can someone help with that?
is there any reason its running so slow? I can post a hijack this log if its that sort of a problem. I know this is kind of vague but can anyone suggest anything?

bd

Of course only have programs that you want to use regularly in startup . Then check in task manager [control/alt/delete] to see what programs are running . Click internet options under the tools menu in IE and delete temp files and offline content and cookies.
If you still have problems , scan your system for viruses,trojans, spyware , etc. using the virus protection,and the cleaners and tools recommended in posts in this forum or the security forum on this site .
I would bet that this will help a lot but if you still think you have a problem run Hijack This and post the log. I don't have enough experience with Hijack This to properly analyze the results but there are people here who do.
Bob :)

Also have you defragmented? Even while browsing the net, temporary files get created in the background and these tend to get heavily fragmented..which may lead to system slow down among other problems. Especially with the sheer size of files nowadays its very important to make defragmentation a part of regular system maintenance. You could run disk cleanup, bootinto safe mode and then run defrag. Gud Luck.

onlygreg

ok thanks, those things are a help i think its just a combination. I'll give it a go.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online