1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer running slow despite having a high speed internet connection for some reason

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarchOrchid, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarchOrchid

MarchOrchid Thread Starter

Hi there,

My computer has been running slow for few months now despite having a high speed internet connection. I have tried to fix it by having its set up changed. It didn't fix the problem. It was working fine but one day it suddenly started running slow. At first I thought it must be a problem with the servers of my network provider but that wasn't the case. I've called the cable company to check several times but they said other users were able to use internet in full speed without any problem. I noticed the problem by trying to watch videos from various websites and after this problem occurred, they started loading super, super slowly. It has gotten to a point that I can no longer watch TV shows, movies, and other videos. The only video website that works is YouTube and even that doesn't function completely normally. Only most YouTube videos work without getting stuck too much. Another thing which I must mention is that quite often the internet cuts off in midst of browsing sessions and it doesn't reconnect without restarting the computer. My computer is a Dell laptop pc with Intel core i5 processor. I suspect that maybe my LAN card has worn out and it needs to be replaced. Although, I have been told by some computer technicians to not to do so. But they weren't able to give me any solutions. So here are my questions:

1. Should I get my LAN card changed?
    2. If I should get my LAN card replaced, what model do I need that's compatible with my device?
    3. And if the problem is not with the LAN card, then what is it and what's the solution?

Please help me out. I need this problem fixed immediately :( I appreciate your help (y)

P.S: I've attached a photo of the processor's logo just in case. This is exactly the logo that's on my laptop.

Attached Files:

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy and welcome. Let's start with the obvious stuff first, as in, what is the OS, and what is the make/model of the rig?

3. MarchOrchid

Hello Valis, the operating system is windows 7 and the model is Dell Inspiration N4010.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Clear Cache/Temp Files
    Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
    • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
    • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
    • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
    • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

5. MarchOrchid

Thank you for your suggestion. Can tell me one more thing, which is, should I change the LAN card? Like just in general. I think I should be able to replace it if I want to. Would that require a special model of LAN card that is synchronized with my computer? I don't know if it will cause additional problems if I replace it. That's what held be back from not going through with my idea. Would have been helpful if I knew for sure.

6. valis

valis Moderator

I wouldn't worry about that yet. Let's rule out software first.

7. MarchOrchid

Okay then, I'll try what you told me to do. I'll keep you posted.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have a laptop, you cannot really "change" the lan card; it is part of the mb. You could [if really needed which I highly doubt] use a usb type lan.

A very quick and easy way to tell if you have a software ie windows/malware/virus problem OR a hardware problem is to boot the system with a linux live disk/usb. If it works fine under linux, you know the hardware is ok and you have a software problem. If you still have problems under linux, then you know it is a hardware problem.

I would use either linux mint or ubuntu for this task. It only takes a few min to download the iso file and create the bootable usb or dvd disk.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you done a speed test while connected with wireless and another speed test while connected with an Ethernet cable?

What router are you connecting too? Have you rebooted the modem and router? Are there other wireless devices in the household and what speeds do they get during a speed test?

Speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/

10. MarchOrchid

Hi Triple6,

No I don't use Wifi. Wifi isn't available where I live. I'm using boradband. I've tried to use a USB LAN too. Nothing happened. Still running slow. Unfortunately, I can't do a speed test with wireless connection.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, I assumed since you had a laptop you were using a wireless connection to your router. I was also referring to your internal house network not the service type you are using, you can have broadband(which can also include wireless) internet to your hose and then use wireless inside your house.

In any case, you still need to a do a speed test to see what speed the "broadband" connection is giving you and if you have other computers in the house you need to do a comparative test on those computers to determine if its your computer, the router/modem, or the internet service.

Also what speeds are you are paying for and what type of broadband is it? And what router or modem do you have?

12. MarchOrchid

It's a wire. I hook it up to my computer and it allows me to use the internet. And no, where I live there are no wireless broadband connections.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What is the other end of the wire connected to?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Again, you seem to be skimming the posts and commenting on the wrong things. We are NOT talking about wireless internet to your house, people have wireless routers in their houses even if their internet connections to their house are wired.

But in any case, can you please post what router and modem your wired broadband is using? Can you also run a speed test so we can see what speeds you are getting. Can you also tell us what speeds you are paying for?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice