1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer running slow then freezing ,disk check cancelling

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tassieted, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tassieted

tassieted Thread Starter

hi

Firstly thanks to all the advisors for giving their time and knowledge so freely.

now on to my problems I have been having issues with my laptop for many months.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2 OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T1600 @ 1.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 1978 Mb Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 796 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 228632 MB, Free - 45551 MB; D: Total - 9838 MB, Free - 1300 MB; G: Total - 715370 MB, Free - 316316 MB; Motherboard: Wistron, 3612 Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

some of my programs; MS office 2003 Malwarebytes antimalware TDSSkiller Hitman Pro Rkill MSE ComodoCCE, Killswitch,Autoruns SuperAnti spyware WinPatrol Norton

i have been using several help sites such as yours to try and fix the problems on my own...i think ( no i know i am out of my depth) so i would appreciate some help.

I have run several of the recommended anti malware, virus checker , system checker etc programs (see above).all of the malware/virus program are coming up clean. however i have not been able to run a disk check as when i schedule it for next time i start it says that the disk check is cancelled.

I did a full system recovery several months ago after trying several restore points as the computer was basically unusable as it was so slow and kept freezing. i saved all my programs/ files to an external drive and put them back on a couple at a time checking them for infections.

recently i have also tried to do a restore but it is not showing restore points older than a month or so, which is where i would like to restore to.

current computer symptoms:

very slow start up, i am guessing i need to turn off start up programs but am no sure which ones to turn off safetly, i have been looking at glarysoft and bleeping computers start up lists but I am still not sure.

internet connection is very slow often stops and i see that it has changed to local or limited access, this used to happen occassionally but has become more prevelant in the last month or so. i have been trying different browsers IE ,opera and firefox. have now settled on firefox with some recommended security addons ( adBlock plus, better privacy, linkextend,noscript, Dr web virus checker, Avast webcheck),

when changeing to different users it takes forever, like go away and make a cuppa forever, sometimes longer., and sometimes freezes.

slow loading and changing between programs, often i get the white screen/ not responding and when i try to close the program/s nothing happens and i have to turn off the power and remove battery and restart. i usually start in safe mode then restart normally and things hum along happilly for awhile then i have to do it all over again. email(outlook) often slow

anyway I have had a very steep learning curve but feel i have gone as far as i can go without some help. i expect i now have too many programs on the system and this is slowing things down as well.

as you can imagine from the diagnostic programs i have that i have lots of sytems info etc i can access although i don't know how to actually make use of it. as I am not sure which of the diagnostic program results I should post so I will await a reply.

many thanks for reading this long winded post and i hope someone may be kind (or cazy) enough to help me out.

TasTed
    PS i think perhaps my motto should be "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"

2. stevecook

stevecook

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice