Computer Running Slowly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gshowman18

Hello! This week, I have been having trouble with the Internet. It is running so slow that I don't know what's going on. A couple of weeks ago, I downloaded the newest version of Norton Antivirus. I think that may have to do with my Internet problems or it could be something else. I ran Ad-Aware & Spybot & they show nothing wrong with the computer. Here is my HijackThis log. Please contact me back if there is anything wrong.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:15:09 AM, on 7/2/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/comcast.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ALUAlert] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUNotify.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O16 - DPF: {B942A249-D1E7-4C11-98AE-FCB76B08747F} (RealArcadeRdxIE Class) - http://games-dl.real.com/gameconsole/Bundler/CAB/RealArcadeRdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/c381/chat.cab

seems clean to me, you do have a lot of scanners going plus start up items. How much memory do you have on the system?

gshowman18

I don't know how much memory I have. I tried running ScanDisk, but when it's checking the folders, it goes back to the beginning over & over again.

one program loaded on your start up items might be causing scandisk not to finish its scan. You can try running scandisk in safemode. To check memory click on Start>Settings>Control Panel> System. You will see information about your computer

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties from the drop-down menu that appears. The amount of RAM will be listed in the General and Performance tabs and will listed in MB.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your computer does have unnecessary programs running in the background, so let's prevent them from doing that.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). Remove the checkmark from:

taskmon.exe

loadpowerprofile
(both entries)

realsched.exe

mstask.exe

osa.exe

click Apply - OK, then reboot.

The smaller you keep the startup list, the better your computer will run.

After you do the above, post a new HijackThis log here.

gshowman18

Thank you for the help everybody. To answer everyone's posts:

1. For the memory, it has 384 MB.

2. I did not know how to use the Easy Cleaner, but I used the CCleaner & it works wonders. My computer seems to be running faster, but I'm still having troubles with the Internet when the pictures are loading onto the webpages. I still don't know if it's Norton or it's a firewall that I do not know about.

3. Here is my new HJT log:

Scan saved at 11:54:40 AM, on 7/2/05

Running processes:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/comcast.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O16 - DPF: {B942A249-D1E7-4C11-98AE-FCB76B08747F} (RealArcadeRdxIE Class) - http://games-dl.real.com/gameconsole/Bundler/CAB/RealArcadeRdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/c381/chat.cab

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

gshowman18

I ran both virus scanners. In the House Call one, it found 2 adware programs. I removed them & now the Internet is running much better.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I see SystemTray in your list of running processes, but I don't see ScanRegistry. You had it in your previous log, so you must've unchecked it by mistake. Go back and recheck it. That one should always be running so it can create backup copies of the registry.

You also still have a LoadPowerProfile entry in the list. Make sure that BOTH of them are unchecked.

Post a new log here after you reboot so I can confirm that the list is correct.

gshowman18

I did what I could with the running processes, but I don't see ScanRegistry anywhere. I also thought that I was in the clear with the Internet problems, but I'm not. I still keep getting them. Just recently, when I was listening to a stream, it would suddenly stop & make these funny noises in order to start up again. Here is my latest HJT log:

Scan saved at 10:57:35 AM, on 7/3/05

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
See if it's listed as scanregw.exe instead of scanregistry. It was in the very first log, so it should be there.

Are you on 56K dial-up or high-speed cable/DSL?

What's making funny noises? The streaming music or the computer?

gshowman18

Flavallee, it isn't even listed on the Startup list. I have Comcast high speed Internet. It was the music that was making the noises. I know that it is part of my Internet problems. Please reply back ASAP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online