1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer running super slow!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smor415, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smor415

smor415 Thread Starter

My friends computer is running really slow all of the sudden. It's maybe a year old and he has Windows XP-Home and is currently using America Online 8.0 as is ISP. I defragmented his harddrive already. I'm thinking he must have all kinds of spyware on his computer or something so I downloaded Spybot S&D and it downloaded and installed but for some reason at the very end when it said finish and scan, and I clicked ok, I got this Error message that said access denied or something like that. And when I click on the shortcut icon on the desktop it wont open up-I get the hourglass for a second and then it goes away but nothing opens. Any suggestions on what I should do or what the problem might be? Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks! :confused:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Try rebooting into Safe Mode and see if Spybot can do its work in there. Also download AdAware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com update and run that in Safe Mode as well. Delete all his Temporary Internet files, Cookies and History. Right click the AOL icon in the notification area, go to Utilities and Clear Browser Cache. Go Start>Run type in $temp$ and delete everything in the right hand pane of the next window. The defrag the hard drive.

Then in Explorer, create a new folder in Programme Files and call it HJT. Go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and download Hijack This, unzip it to that folder and run it. Copy and paste the resulting log back here and don't let HJT fix anything until you here from someone in this forum.

3. smor415

smor415 Thread Starter

How do you Reboot in safe mode? And after that does it go back to normal mode or stay in Safe Mode?

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Restart the computer and tap the function 8 key a few times before the first Windows screen comes up. That should bring up a list of options, one of which is Safe Mode. You need to reboot when you finished in there and it will default to Normal Mode because you won't be hitting function 8 at that stage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice