1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer runs agonizingly slow, please help.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sapphiresky86, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sapphiresky86

sapphiresky86 Thread Starter

I've got an Asus N76V with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core I7-3630QM, 2.4GHz
    Memory: 8GB

This computer wasn't cheap and I bought it specifically because I was told it would be fast, powerful, and pretty good for gaming. This isn't an exclusive gaming computer though, as I use it for just about everything. I'm very disappointed in its performance though. I've got a six year old HP that isn't nearly as powerful, but runs much faster. I especially notice it when using the internet as it takes forever to load pages and even longer if I'm trying to watch a video clip on YouTube. I thought that maybe it was just my internet, but I've used it multiple places with the same results. Is there any way to check to see what I may need to instal/uninstall to make it run better?

One other bit of information that my be helpful. When I bought the computer, it was a previously returned item. I was told that the whole thing had been wiped and reset so that it was like new. Could that have anything to do with it running the way it does? I've also experienced crashes on a couple of occasions. I'll restart my computer, log in to my account, then try to access the desktop and I will get a code that says, irql_not_less_or_equal. What does this mean and is there something I need to do to get it to stop happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Support Guy

It very much depends of course on why it was returned - when you ask
    the answer could be YES - VERY OCCASIONALLY there is a transient defect in a hardware component and the fact it was reformatted and windows reinstalled will of course NEVER repair a hardware defect

I am not suggesting it is the case, but it may have been subjected to a severe jolt/dropped etc and that could possibly have caused the defect

The foregoing is unlikely but entirely possible, as is simply a bad component.

2. The error
    means in simple terms - normally that a driver has attempted to access memory at a level that is not allowed

3. To even attempt to ascertain the cause we need the dump file
    I can advise you on how to send me that
    BUT
    my best advice is depending on from where and when purchased and under which terms of sale and warrantry that you consider referring back to the seller - depending on how long you have had the
    Asus

4. The reason I say that is that, you cannot then be faced with any suggestion that you have caused problems by your attempts to solve the problem of the apparent inherent poor performance and the crash

5. Please post your decision and if it is to try and solve the problem I will reply with guidance on how to get me the files I need.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install the latest chipset and then other drivers from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Make sure you have all Windows' Updates. Deal with any Action Center issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice