Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer runs for about 2 minutes then shuts off.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Retroman737 
#1 ·
I recently built a new computer. Here are the specs:
Mobo:MSI P43 Neo3
Cpu:Intel core 2 duo E7300
Power Suply:Antec 650W
Video Card:Radeon HD 4870
Ram: G.skill F2-8000 (2x2gb)

My computer will not work for more than 5 minutes before my screen goes dark. This happens in windows and in bios. My fans and hard drive will still continue to run but I get no audio or visual.
My cpu temp hovers around 40c.
Any ideas on what to do?

#2 ·
What does your monitor do after the shutoff? Does it go into powersave, or stay on?

And is your audio connected through the monitor, a pci sound card, or the integrated
sound card?

Also, do you get any error messages right before it goes dark?

What are you usually doing when this happens?

And last, when your computer crashes, does it seem to take any response at all? (If you hold down multiple keys does it beep?
do the keyboard LED's still light on and off when you push the buttons?
If you have a laser mouse, does it flash brighter when you move it on a surface like it normally does?)

#3 ·
Well my what happens on crash is my monitor goes dark, presumably off but my computer's fans and hard drives still run.

My audio card is integrated.

I get no error messages, whether I am sitting at the desk top, playing a game, or simply in bios, it suddenly goes dark.

I am not sure about the beeping, I will have to check and post back.

The interesting thing about this is, I have had this same setup before and it worked fine, until I fried my psu and mobo, I was messing around inside my case with the power plugged in. Worst mistake ever.

Edit: My computer makes no sound when I press anything.
Edit2: New information. I put an old 7600GT I had laying around in my computer and it has been shutoff free for about 20 min now. Do you think this could indicate a faulty gfx card, or a power supply issue. Also I could possibly test the gfx card in another pc, but it only has a 450W raidmax psu.
Thanks for all of your help.

#9 ·
I'm not quite sure what a Molex connector is but it does require two 6-pin connectors.
Turns out that when I hook my 650W power supply, and gfx card up to my old computer I can't even get it to display an image so I can't test my card. It is an older mobo, but I'm not sure if that's an issue.
Also I can't even keep my computer running long enough to install drivers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.