1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer s-l-o-w help!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Ghaleon, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Thread Starter

High, i'm on windows xp and am stumped.

my computer is constantly running at about 100% and I can't identify the app that's taking up so much space

I've run adaware/spybot/ norton and they came up with nothing

I've tried a clean start with msconfig and it didnt work. but I don't have the problem in safe mode.

I've also done windows update, disk cleanup, and defrag; all to no avail. Any recomendations? here's my log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 3:25:19 PM, on 2/3/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\DefWatch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Rtvscan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\VPTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://intra.hanover.edu
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://intra.hanover.edu
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/se...e=English&module=LU&error=6002&build=Symantec
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\VPTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\DefWatch.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVRoam - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec\SavRoam.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Rtvscan.exe

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Nothing in the log

ALT CTRL DEL - Process tab - click on cpu twice to sort by highest users - see what the process is that is using the cpu

3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Thread Starter

WOW. It's jumping ALL over the place. the processes wont even maintain their mem ussage long enough for me to follow it. The only consistent one is iexplore.exe which is at 38,000. but that's normal because i'm running housecall.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Not mem usage CPU is what you should look at

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice