1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer says explorer is missing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by benard, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benard

benard Thread Starter

i tried installing my new webcam to my laptop but then decided to uninstall it.
    when i restart my computer. some error that says"error loading explorer.exe"
    saying that i must install windows. i click ok and then another box comes out
    "error searching the program:a required dll.file.msvcrt.dll was not found."
    after i clicked ok i pressed crtl+alt+delete the only thing it shows is "mmtask"
    so do you guys know what the problems is and what should i do about it?
    please help me!thanks! -- benard

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Can you boot the computer to Safe Mode?

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

3. benard

benard Thread Starter

yes i can run it to safe mode but the same thing happens.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What Operating System are you using? What brand of computer are you using? Did it come with Restore/Recover CDs if a HP, Compaq or Emachines?

Unfortunately, it sounds intially as though you'll have to reinstall Windows.

You could do a over-write install and possibly save your sensitive data if you had a Windows Upgrade Install CD that matches your operating system or higher version. You just put the apropriate upgrade CD in the [D] drive; A Win98 Startup disk in the [A] drive then reboot your computer choosing CD-ROM support when prompted; At the [A] prompt type, e:, and press Enter; At the [E] prompt type, setup, and press Enter and follow the on-screen instructions using the Tab and Enter keys where required.

For questions or concerns please reply back.

5. benard

benard Thread Starter

i got a compaq presario.so basically i just have to install everything i have put in it like when i first got it?

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Yep, pretty much, it's sad but true. :(

7. benard

benard Thread Starter

damn! man! oh well. thank you very much for your time! what do you think happened though..you know..how this happened.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Probably just coincidence like in most cases, likely nothing you did caused this.

I'd just say that imho 90% of computing problems are due to users not having a firewall installed.

You need to be running a firewall like free Sygate from http://download.com - type, sygate, in the Search box, you must be on-line to register Sygate, that is if you're not using a firewalled Router on a Network or, have another third-party firewall like Sygate installed, to protect you and the Internet community from hackers, spammers and terrorist from using your computer for their own illicit needs while you're on-line?

I apologise for stating something you already know. Sorry you had problems.

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Save yourself the headache next time and get a good back-up plan and use it. These things can happen, but they don't have to be devastating.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice