1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer says it cannot open images in my photos - "file format is not supported"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Wooodyy, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wooodyy

Wooodyy Thread Starter

My computer recently broke and i had all my photos transferred onto another computer. However some images won't open even though they are in .jpg format, as it comes up with "file format is not supported". My computer is windows vista if that helps :(

2. Hughv

Hughv

Do they show the proper icon?
    Have you tried Rt-Click/Open With?

3. Wooodyy

Wooodyy Thread Starter

no they just have the photo image before a thumbnail of the image appears and i've tried opening it with every program on my computer and it keeps saying the file format is not supported :( x

4. Hughv

Hughv

Attach one and upload it or try opening them on another computer.

5. defianted

defianted

right click and look for ' Properties ', it might help find out what it is.

6. NinjaTurtle82

NinjaTurtle82

i recently uploaded some new pix to my computer, when i hover over them it says its a JPX file. like the person above no program on my computer will open it. At first the icon was a piece of paper with little squares on it. When i clicked on properties i changed it to be opened with picture viewer..now the icon is paper with a picture viewer symbol on it, but still wont open. Most of my pictures came out fine but 16-61 are JPX

7. mickeyflame

mickeyflame

Make a copy of one of the files then rename it with the .jpg extention, see if that works.

8. NinjaTurtle82

NinjaTurtle82

A friend of mine suggested the same thing. However that didnt work either. :(

9. mickeyflame

mickeyflame

10. Lvx

Lvx

NinjaTurtle82, may I suggest that you open a new thread for your issue, because you're basically hijacking someone elses thread, plus you create confusion.

To the original poster; try opening the file with a different program, Google for "free image editor".

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979235