1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer screen blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gatsbykills, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatsbykills

gatsbykills Thread Starter

My computer screen is blank! I've been having some problems for the past week or two with my computer and then yesterday I went away from it for a while and when I came back it looked like the "blue screen of death" was up but there was no text, just a blank blue screen. Now whenever I start up nothing happens, it seems like everything works on the tower but there's just a blank screen, and the light on the moniter blinks like there's nothing to read.
    The only recent hardware added was a wireless network a few weeks ago, but it seems to work fine. Recent problems include having to update my sound driver due to cpu restarting and now this, however I have had plenty of graphics card problems, but not for a while.

Built the computer a year ago and haven't had much problems after the first month or two. I'm running windows XP with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, and ECS socket 478 motherboard, and a 350W power supply, if you need any more info on specs let me know. I figured it's one of these 3 screwing up, so is there any way to test it or something I can do?

2. winbob

winbob

The best place to start is to try the Monitor, and then the Video Card in another machine to ensure that they work properly.

3. debunkcia

debunkcia

pinout problem most likely. have you checked the end of the monitor cable to see if any of the pins a missing? do you happen to have another monitor, possible froma second computer in your house you could use to test the vid card?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its highly unlikely that a pin would "go miising in action" though.

First verify the PC is actually booting up.
    When you think it should be going, check the keyboard lights. Pressing Caps Lock should toggle the light on or off, if that does not work then the PC is simply not booting.

So, look at the PSU, CPU, RAM etc.

5. debunkcia

debunkcia

6. Psycheout

Psycheout

If you have another monitor, test that on the computer. Try wiggling the videocard a little in it`s slot, and check all connections.

7. debunkcia

debunkcia

don't wiggle it from side to side. that could break the connection to the motherboard rendering the board useless. it couldn't hurt to remove the video card properly and reinserting it correctly.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I agree that the monitor should be tested on a nother computer, but it sounds more like a software problem than a hard ware problem. THe blue screen means that it is indeed getting a signal from the computer, just not what you want it too. Do you get the computer boot plash screen or post test screen before it goes blue?

9. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Gentlemen, No doubt you have you tried belting the crap out of the thing!!
    Cheers, qldit.

10. qldit

qldit

Seriously, it has the symptoms of a power supply dying.

11. gatsbykills

Thanks for all the replies...

However none of them helped :)

Here's the update, it's not the graphics card, the computer is simply not booting up at all.

I put in a new motherboard and it still didn't work! So I thought it might be the power supply, so I tried a power supply a friend had that worked, plugged that into the new mobo and still nothing! I am so very confused...

Does anyone know what the basic parts are that a computer needs to start up at all, I don't care about it working, just what it needs to start up...I think its just the motherboard and the power supply am I right? I tried starting it up with the new mobo, both the other power supply and my own, and nothing else. I thought it might be the processor, but I'm not sure, with it in or out it doesn't make a difference.

This could be another stupid question, but is there any way the case could be affecting it? Any thoughts at all would help, thanks.

Oh and yes I tried smacking it and it didn't make it work :)

12. winbob

winbob

If you are not even getting Fan startup with a new MOBO and PS, I would look at the MOST BASIC possibilities:

1. Power Cord is bad?

2. No power to the wall receptacle?

3. Bad Power-on Switch/cable?

4. Not so basic....Processor gone bad?

13. gatsbykills

the fans do start up, and the light on the mobo is on when connected to the power supply and plugged into the wall. i tried using a different power cord and different wall outlet as well. how do i know if its a bad processor? will the computer boot up at all if it's bad?

14. qldit

qldit

G'day Gatsby, it may well be worth trying a simple PCI videocard. The more complex type can be more difficult.
    If all the fans are running, and the thing is giving a short beep at start, I would expect a monitor display of some kind.
    If one of the power rails is low voltage it commonly happens that the video card will not function. (assuming all proper conditions are met with processor and memory etc.)
    Qldit.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    minumum to start the computer would be mobo/processor, PSU, 1 stick of proper ram, video card and monitor. That should get you through POST and to the bios entry screen

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice