Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer/Screen shuts down unexpectedly

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Wino 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for anyone who try helping me.

Here is my problem:
every 5 to 15 min, one of the 2 events occures:
1. My screen shuts down for no reason (the yellow light turns into orange), but my computer is still working (i can still work on it "blind").
this is the rare event.
2. This is what usually happens: The computer shuts down completly.
when i turn it on again, some times it turns on but the screen is still off (like in the event number 1), and sometimes it goes on ok, until the next time it gets off for no reason.
If i wait some hours after it get shuts down, i can use it for longer time until it gets off, but if i turn it on a few seconds after it gets off, i can only work for a few minutes until it gets off again.

I'm learning in a university and i have a big test in a week from now, so its kinda urgent for me..

Thanks alot, Liran.

#2 ·
Laptop or tower?? How old - how long in use? In either, be sure heatsink & fan is clear of all dust/lint by blowing out with dry compressed air (use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to prevent fan blades from spinning excessively). If laptop, during use be sure it has plenty of air circulation to the bottom air inlet vents - don't lay flat on bed, sofa or lap. And hope it's only a overheating problem due to poor air circulation if laptop.:)

#3 ·
Sounds like its a heat problem.

you said if you leave it turned off for a while then come back to it the computer will last longer which tells me that because you let it fully cool off earlier it can now run longer.

Depending on if its a desktop or a laptop there are different ways to clean it. Either way you will need a can of compressed air. Keep in mind that you do NOT want to shake the can or turn it over or anything. As vapor can come out which you do not want.

You want to spray all the fans and heatsinks in there to get most of the dirt/dust out. dont forget to spray your powersupply fan also.

#4 ·
Thank you all! you were right, it was indeed a heat problem!

I opened the box, and i saw that the fan is very slow (i have it for only half year! probably not a good company..).

so i opend the box from the 2 sides and aimed a big home fan at the inside, and since this morning its working just fine.

i'll go buy a new fan in a few days..

thanks alot.

#5 ·
So presume it is a tower/desktop. You still need to blow out the fins/coils on the heatsink beneath the fan and clean/blow out all the internal dust that has accumulated.

If you replace the fan, just remove it from the heatsink and replace it. I don't recommend your taking the CPU itself out unless you are familiar with installing CPU's. Be sure your new fan has the same wire/pin connection as the old (probably 3-wire).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.