1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer screen wen't blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbgarnett, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello,

I was just using my PC last night surfing the internet and doing some other things, but then my screen just went blank and it popped up saying no DVI connection or whatever. My PC still had power and all the fans were going and everything seemed like it had power. My pC has done this before but it was because my 8800GT got to hot and overheated. So I checked the cables and everything was tight so then I shut of my PC and waited a little while and turned it back on and got nothing not even the bios/bootup screen but everything had power and all my fans were running including the one on my 8800GT. Just nothing on my screen. So I turned it off again took off the side of my case and checked everything in there and everything was tight. So then I just left it off overnight and this morning tried again but still got nothing just power. So I decided to unplug everything and have only my memory and hard drive(s) plugged in and my Graphics card and tried just that and I still got nothing just power to my graphics card fan, PSU, and the CPU/heatsink fan. So I don't know what could be the problem. Do you think my graphics card could have gone bad and if so how do I switch back to my on board graphics, or if not what else could be the problem.

Thanks,

Specs

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    Brisbane 65nm Technology

RAM

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 246MHz (4-4-4-12)

Motherboard

ALiveNF6P-VSTA (CPUSocket)

Graphics
    ASUS VH242H ([email protected]) 512MB GeForce 8800 GT (Gigabyte)

Hard Drives

466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-00TMA SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

Optical Drives

ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To switch to the integrated graphics, remove the video card from the computer and connect the monitor to the motherboard's port.

4. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

Thanks for the info anyways I left everything unplugged for the day about 7 or 8 hours including the Power cord so only thing plugged in was the memory, hard drive(s) and Graphics Card otherwise everything else was unplugged . So I plugged everything back in and it booted up so I don't know do you think it could be my graphics card going out/ overheating or do you feel it could be another problem.

Thanks,

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This sounds more like a power supply on it's way out.

You didn't list what power supply you have.

6. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

I have the OCZ Proexstream 1000W

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-proxstream-power-supply-eol.html

So it's a nice PSU not a crappy one.

But if it's the power supply then why would everything still have been getting power and just nothing showing up on the screen. I mean my graphics card runs between 61 and like 70 degrees Celsius so that's really hot. So I know it's overheated before. I ave even changed the thermal compound on the GPU cooler and it got better but still runs way to hot.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can adjust the fan speed in the nVidia Control Panel, you can try different drivers too; there were some older drivers that were known to cause certain cards to run hot. Or the card could just be on it ways out.

8. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

Yeah I adjusted the fan speeds a long time ago and so there all the way up and it had helped a little but not a whole lot. Also I always update the drivers so I have the latest drivers. Anyways I have been thinking about replacing this card but I don't want to spend a lot like I want to spend under 100 bucks and maybe even under 75 but don't know what would be recommended. I would want it to be as good or maybe even a little bit better than the 8800GT that i have now. I really don't play games at least nothing major but do watch movies and videos on youtube and Netflix and it would need to be good for that and also be able to run my monitor which is an ASUS VH242H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

thanks,

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you don't play games then any new card will do, all the rest can be handled by the cheapest modern card.

Here's a Radeon HD 6670 1GB graphics card well under budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988
    It matches the Geforce 8800GT in gaming performance and excels pretty much everywhere else.

10. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

OK thanks for the info.

11. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

also quick question is there a difference between the

Sapphire 6670 card you suggested and then this card the Gigabyte 6670 there both 49.99 after rebate with 6.98 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

The only thing I can see that's different is effective memory clock which is 1333 MHZ on the Sapphire and 1600 MHZ on the gigabyte so I mean is that a big deal or not.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's the same GPU just that the card is made by a different manufacturer and some manufacturer's use different RAM types and speeds, faster RAM may give it a slight performance boost but in general use it makes no real difference.

13. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey,

OK thanks and also I was thinking that I could use the card in the future for a future build which I hope to do pretty soon I already have a Mobo and PSU and so the Mobo uses an APU so I would have/want the AMD A8 3870K APU processor which has the graphics card built into the CPU and in this case a 6550. I know that you can do like a Crossfire/duel graphics between the Graphics on the CPU and an added card, but I don't think you could do that with either of these cards. So do you think going with something like the XFX 6770 might be a better option just for the fact that I could transfer it to a new build.

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106001

Thanks,

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey, OK so even though the Sapphire Radeon 6670 says it can't do crossfire X it you're saying that it will be able to do that with the A8 3870K or did you mistype and meant to say a different card since first you say I can't do crossfireX with the APU but then you say the 6670 can even though newegg says it can't.

Thanks again.

16. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice