1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer seems slow at times

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by razz3333, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. razz3333

razz3333 Thread Starter

I am fairly familiar with my PC but am having a difficult time to resolve the fact that it seems slow (compared to my wife's PC, which is the same as mine - XP Home Service Pack 3, 38.2 GB drive, 735 MB RAM). Examples where speed between our PCs differs greatly: (1) from power on until my desktop appears is approx 45 sec., my quick launch icons appear approx. another 10 sec. after that and still another 10 sec. or so until my first icon appears in the tray. We both have the same programs launching at startup. My wife's PC is up and running atleast 3 times as quick (2) launching my browser. My wife's is nearly instantaneous, mine takes atleast 10 sec.(3) launching my email client. My wife's takes approx 3 sec., mine takes approx. 7 sec. I frequently use CCleaner for doing both a cleanup of all junk files and cleaning the registry. I have also periodically used Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. I defrag both my drive and registry using JkDefrag, I have tested for any virus (using avast! and also ThreatFire) and malware (using Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware), and all is fine. What would you recommend to help improve startup time and launch times? Note: I do not want to do away with any of my startup programs. Thank you for your time.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have backups from the reg cleaners, use them otherwise you will have to reformat and when you do, don't use any reg cleaners again, the damage they do is seldom repairable.

3. razz3333

razz3333 Thread Starter

I feel strongly that using the registry cleaner that is part of CCleaner is very safe. I agree that other cleaners can be trouble, unless you know what not to delete. I use the same tune-up regiment on my wife's PC (and have for many years now), yet, recently (as noted) her PC runs quite a bit quicker.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is no such thing as a "safe" reg cleaner. I have hosed 2 systems with ccleaner and so have many users. There is such a thing as luck but sooner or later it goes against you.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    razz3333:

You're insistent on using registry cleaners, and you don't want to trim down the startup load, so we're up against the wall here.

Because your computer and your wife's computer both have Windows XP Home SP3, a 38.2 GB hard drive, and 735 MB of RAM doesn't mean they're going to run exactly the same way. There's too many other variables involved.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. razz3333

razz3333 Thread Starter

Thank you both for your advice. I performed a defrag in Safe Mode (using the "analyze and fast optimization" setting in JkDefrag). This seems to have helped.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!