1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer showing non existant drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soratrox, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soratrox

Soratrox Thread Starter

System: Dell XPS 600 (2005)
    OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
    CPU TYPE: INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ
    CPU SPEED (GHZ):3.013
    SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):0.998
    GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS 512
    GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:NV4_DISP.DLL
    DESKTOP RESOLUTION:1920X1200
    HARD DISK SIZE (GB):149.002
    HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):59.492

A few days ago I completely wiped my Hard Drive to get rid of some serious malware and the annoying amount of useless crap I had stored on my system. Everything seemed to be working fine, and then I suddenly started having BSOD errors. The stop code was 0xD1, with no listed .sys files, minidumps were also unhelpful, giving me:

Probably caused by: Uknown_image (Analysis_Inconclusive)

Since 0xD1 is a driver issue I checked up on all my device drivers and made sure they were up to date.

The crashes first started when I was installing a game (I don't really remember which) and the crashes now happen occasionally when I launch games like World of warcraft or L4D. And it -always- crashes when I attempt to launch Battlefield 2 or 2142.

I noticed a day or two ago what is probably the source of the error. For some reason when I open my computer, it shows that I have two CD/DvD drives one lsited as D: the other as F:. And two CD-RW drives, one listed as E: and the other as G:. I only have one CD/DvD drive and one CR-RW, so clearly something odd is happening here. Device manager only shows two drives, and the drives are connected (i.e. I put a disk in my DvD drive and it shows the disk as being in both D: and E:)

After seeing this it made more sense that the crash always happen if I try to launch Battlefield, (It requires a disk to play) but don't always happen with my other games.

Event Viewer confirms that the crashes are associated with a Disk drive error, when I launch something and get a BSOD, two errors come up in the event log:

Type:Error Date:7/19/2009 Time:2:03:59 PM Source:LDMS Category: None Event:3023 User: N/A

Both are listed as that, but the two have different details, one appears to be my CD/DvD drive, the other my CD-RW.

"The Logical Disk Manager Service failed while registering for device handle notifications on device \\?\ide#cdromsony_dvd-rom_ddu1615____________________fds1____#5&6f68fe4&0&0.0.0#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}. Win32 Error: 1381."

---------------------------

"The Logical Disk Manager Service failed while registering for device handle notifications on device \\?\ide#cdromsony_cd-rw__crx217e_____________________1ds2____#5&6f68fe4&0&0.1.0#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}. Win32 Error: 1381."

I went to update the drivers for two the drives, and wasn't able to, the driver installer for the CD-RW says that the only disk drives on my computer are the fake and real DvD drives. The DvD driver starts, but then when I click install, gives me an error, or sometimes has the same problem as the CD-RW driver and doesn't recognize that I even have the drive.

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

You could try using Device Manager to uninstall/remove both drives, and then shut off your machine and unplug them. When restarting verify that no CD/DVD drives show in Explorer. After that power down again and plug the drives back in and Windows should autodetect and reinstall them for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice