1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shut itself off randomly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sevendaydemon, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sevendaydemon

sevendaydemon Thread Starter

Hi guys,

so basically I swtiched on my pc this morning and it ran as per usual. after having it on for less than 30 minutes it randomly shut down. I hit the switch to turn it on and the LED on the front lit up for a second and everything inside started to kick into its usual actions, but then it just shut down straight away.

Now I have reason to believe it may be my power supply unit that's screwed because for a while my system has had this very loud grinding noise coming from it and although I tried to figure that out, I don't believe my fan has the capacity to create such a loud noise.

Note that my system is literally 2 months old, but the power supply is slightly older since I ported it from my old system.

At the time of shutdown I was merely listening to music but I do play games fairly often on my rig.

I do have the original PSU that came with the new computer and I will swap them to test it shortly but I wanted to make sure I've got some suggestions from knowledgable people on here as well.

Any suggestions or advice you can give is appreciated.

System specs is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
    4GBRAM
    Geforce 8800GT Overclocked Edition
    1TB HDD
    550 Watt PSU

Cheers.

2. tarekch

tarekch

do you get a blue screen that flashes for a few seconds before the shut down? or does it go to blank right away?

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    PSU is a possibility, if it is that lets hope it hasn't taken anything down with it as that can happen.

What make and model is the PSU in it that you suspect is broken, and what make and model is your test one?

If you put the test one in, I would suggest doing it with minimal hardware connected, just to test the PSU, so 1 stick of RAM, hard drive, CPU and graphics.

The 8800GT is a fairly power hungry card and it may be that your old PSU was just being over stretched by it and has given up.

On the noise front, the most likely cause for noise as you describe is a fan as that is one of the few, moving mechanical parts. A failed fan in the PSU will likely cause it to overheat, which will reduce its efficiency and lifespan considerably.

4. sevendaydemon

sevendaydemon Thread Starter

No there's no blue screen it just shuts down without warning as if I was to completely pull the power plug.

The broken PSU is a CiT, not sure what model, one of the golden models, with Dual 12v rails and also has a 6pin connector to go straight into the GPU, which I'm assuming is the only use for that type of connector.
    The test one is a stock model that was with the system when I bought it and was by a company called Delta electronics.

The stock supply is far short of powering the 8800GT (working at 230watts) though so I had to take it out before switching on, but it booted up fine using the original stock PSU, and without the harsh grinding noise that was quickly turning my brain into patty.

Seems like the PSU did die on me after all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice