1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shut off at the Window XP loading screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimYall, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimYall

JimYall Thread Starter

here's the story:
    - few weeks ago, i was playing games, and doing other stuff with my computer and it seems fine...
    - recently, it starts lagging, then it shut off.
    - i opened the cased and clean the dust around the fan, but then when i turned the computer back on, it shut off at the window xp loading screen..
    - i used PC wizard my cpu heat was like around 75C-87C

i wonder if any of you guys can help me out.
    thx in advances.
    Jim.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this would be why - its overheating - and theres a setting in the bios to turn PC off based on temp.

check the heatsink is on the CPU fully and not unclipped also that the fan is running all the time

3. JimYall

JimYall Thread Starter

hi, my heatsink is fully clipped and fan is running all the time... but it's still happened. BTW i left my computer off for few days before then i turned it on again to see what happen, but it's still shut off..any other advices to help me plz thx.

-added: i tried to take out the fan and the heatsink turn on the computer, it turns on the shut off right away, is it because of my power supply by any chance?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you are getting that kind of heat out of cpu, the heatsynch fan has to have failed, or the motherboard has.

5. JimYall

JimYall Thread Starter

wat do i do in that situation?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you reinstalled the heasink and fan did you clean off the old thermal paste completely and reapply new thermal paste properly first? If you just replaced the heatsink using the original application of the thermal paste this could also be why you are overheating.

7. JimYall

JimYall Thread Starter

Hi Dustyjay, what is the thermal paste, I don't know? Just saw a thin white layer on the surface of the cpu as well as at the bottom of the fan when I took off the fan, and already clean it off then reinstalled the fan without it. Is it the thermal paste that you mentioned? If so, where I can find it and how to use? Kindly help me to resolve this problem, thanks a lot.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thermal paste is a must these days. It should be readily available at any store selling computer supplies. Look for Arctic Silver the best.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    And yes this is probably the issue you have....

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Rich-M has the prize for the bullseye! that was the link I was going to post to you as well. Best set of thermal paste instructions I have seen yet.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

TY dustyjay glad to help!

11. JimYall

JimYall Thread Starter

thx u guys a lot imma buy it then try it XD

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice