1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shut off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armbender, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-XG700 40GB HD 256RAM. WinXP OS

Here is the problem: The computer turn on and boot just fine. Everything work on it. After about 10-15 min of using. The computer just shutoff. I have to wait about 20min to be able to turn on again and same problem occur within same time frame(10-15min) The cpu fan is blowing out hot air. So I know that the cpu fan is working. I believe it might be heatsink. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Chad C.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a laptop right?

It does sound like its overheating since you have to wait to turn it back on but it could also be an issue with the power. Do you know if the unit has more then one fan?

Is it under warranty?

3. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

Yes, it is a labtop. I believe the unit got one fan. It is a pentium III 750Mhz. if your look at the computer it got the intercooler flap. and the hot air is blowing out from it. No more warranty. How can i be sure what the problem is? any suggestion? while the computer is on everything work on it. cdrom modem screen sound everything. please help. Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't know how you'd be really sure unless you take the laptop apart, which is not the easiest thing.

Maybe it just needs a little cleaning. If you get a can of compressed air try blowing out any dust and anything else that may have gotten into the laptop. If there's something impeding the air flow/fan movement it may overheat.

5. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

I open up the labtop and clean as much as i can with out removing the motherboard itself. the stuff i clean up appear to be a dry milk. yes dry milk. someone spill some milk and not tell me about and it dry on some part of the motherboard which i clean. i also see some on heatsink and fan but the fan is running. those are hard to reach places. i think i'm going to go buy some compress air and see if i can spray them out and see if it work. =\

6. intolerance

intolerance

This someone thought you wouldn't notice.. also could you describe this someone? does this someone wear glasses? none of the keys were sticking or anything?

7. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

LoL, no keyboard is not sticky. Any idea? anyone?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is all the gunk removed from the laptop now?

You may need to disassemble the laptop to remove it all.

9. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

Hi again. I removed all the gunk from the motherboard. I turn the laptop on without the case cover and the fan kicks in after 3-4 min. At exactly 16min(i time it) the screen freeze and it shut off just like if you run the computer on dead battery. Again I have to wait 20min to be able to turn back on. =/ help.

10. winbob

winbob

What about Gentle Cycle with Cold Rinse in the washing machine? :p

11. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

LoL, that would be my next step but I will use the laptop for spare parts. yes, I have two of the same model =o).. The tech guy said that it sound like a motherboard since the fan is running and blowing air. it would cost me around $400-700 =\ Why do that if i can buy another one on ebay for around $500.00. Anyway if you guy got idea let me know. new heat sink cost $75 and new fan cost $34, replace both? or pay $65 and have it professionally check. let me know. =\

12. Cell

Cell

im no laptop guru but i would think the fan would kick on at start up? also what are the temps on the cpu and stuff??

13. Armbender

Armbender Thread Starter

Hmm, i'm not sure how to check the cpu temperture. it didn't show any on bios, i'll check again to be sure.

14. Cell

Cell

mine is listed under pchealth in the bios.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A heatsink can't get damaged from having something spilt on it. It would need to be cleaned. It might also need to be removed so that you can clean between the CPU and heatsink. You would also then need to replace the thermal pad or grease that goes between the CPU and hetsink. Its fairly cheap; $5 per tube. if the fan is spinning smoothly and at a good speed then it doesn't need to be replaced.

The problem is that liquids and electronics don't play nice together. You will need to make sure its fully removed. You will most likely need to take the motherboard if you haven't done do yet and clean anything that spilt under it.

You may be able to monitor temps from within Windows with a utilty like Speedfan or MBM5: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice