1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutdown after loading a game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meihem, Sep 15, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

So I play World of Warcraft, 2 weeks ago while I was playing, my computer randomly shut down, like a power cut off and not a windows shut down. After this had happened, I tried to log back in again and I couldn't even reach the character selection screen.

I then let it shut down for 30 minutes and tried again, same thing but only after loading in the game, I saw my character for 1 second and power off. I decided to search and everyone was talking about overheating so I ran the test: Black desert online on high graphics for 30 minutes, no shutdown, graphics card went to 70-72c max. I use MWMonitor. I tried WoW again a few times and had the issue 5 or so more times.
    I decided to reinstall the game and didn't have the issue for 2 weeks so I concluded that some files may have been corrupted.

Well to my dismay, today it happened again, once while just hanging out in the main city on a server that's not very populated and the second time I went to play League of Legends which is a lot less heavy, right after loading screen it shut down again. Then reopened right away, tried again and it worked for the whole game.

Here we are, I searched more, found that the error logged was Kernel-Power 41.

Specs:
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Familly Edition Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0 Go Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H77M-D3H (Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz)
    Graphics
    VG245 ([email protected])
    DELL E2414H ([email protected])
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Storage
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA )
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH15L ATA Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
    Power Supply
    350W

I will provide any information needed to help with this diagnose, I just need to know if it's some hardware problem so I can get back to playing.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing that just jumps out at me is your pw supply. Your video card requires a minimum of 450W. Using your card with a 350W pw supply is just asking for a problem.
    The very first thing to do is to install a quality pw supply ie corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] Seasonic, or Antec [HCG models ONLY]
    Here is the spec sheet for a gtx 660ti;
    https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications
    As you can see, you are WAY below min pw.

3. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

Okay, so I did think this could be the problem. Seeing it from GeForce confirms it.
    For now, I removed one of my 8 GB RAM, removed the front fan while keeping my case open on both sides and lowered task load by not opening too many things at the same time and lowering graphics.
    (Do you think this would help temporarily?)

I have a friend who has a 650W Power Supply and he's willing to ship it to me so I'll go with that.

Any other tip/advice for me?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You are not understanding what is going on. You are making that pw supply run at 100% rated pw. Just think; how long with the engine in your car last if you ran it at full throttle ALL of the time??? That is exactly what you are doing.
    If it were me [and I valued those parts] I would stop using the system until you can install a quality pw supply. While you may have other problems, you definitly need a quality pw supply. Do not install a corsair cx, vs, or other low end unit [those are designed for a basic system ONLY] The only corsairs that are up to running a gaming type video card are referenced above in post #2.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only way you could get by with your current pw supply is to pull out the video card and use the onchip intel video. That would be safe.

6. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

Should I go with 650W, 750W or 850W if I want to use my specs to it's maximum and perhaps overclock a slight amount in the future?

9. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

Also, thanks a lot for the help, I needed it badly since there aren't many good techs where I live to help with that.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

650W is fine; just be sure it is a high quality unit. Junk pw supplies can cause all kinds of problems. Stay away from the $30 pw supplies.

11. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

I will go with the one you sent but 750W because it's on sale and only 10$~ more than the 650W, this will also ensure I don't need to buy yet another power supply if I want to upgrade my Intel processor later.

Ty! Will update when I get it and test.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good choice. Seasonic stuff is very high end. I use that exact 750W seasonic in my ryzen system. It is nice that the cooling fan only runs when needed. With liquid cooling, this system is almost silent.

13. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

That's great, I do have liquid cooling as well, I can't wait to get it so I can set it up and get back to gaming!

I've had this computer custom built by Microbytes and it was like 3-4 years ago, now I regret it because that's a huge mistake on their part...

14. Meihem

Meihem Thread Starter

Question: If my power supply was 600W, would it have been enough?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a LOT more to a pw supply that simply a wattage rating. Some [however not all] of the things to consider when choosing a pw supply;
    1 Temp at which the unit was rated. Low quality units either do not post a temp OR it is 20C. High end ie quality pw supplies are rated @50C
    2 Amp rating on the 12V rail. Just about everything in a modern system uses the 12V rail. Having a lot of amp on the 3.3V rail is just about useless
    3 Who mfg the unit. There are not really a lot of pw supply mfg; there are a LOT of sellers however you have to check who actually mfg the pw supply. A good example is corsair. Corsair does not mfg their pw supplies. The low end units are made be CTW [mfg of many oem type units] The high end corsairs are made by seasonic [mfg of very high quality stuff]
    4 Warranty. High quality units will have at least a 5yr warranty. Cheap ones 2~3yr.

To answer your question, IF it is a high quality pw supply, 600W would be fine. If it is a no name, oem, or other junk unit, then no it would not be fine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice