1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutdown like I pulled the plug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flowdrip, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

My computer has just done an instantaneous shutdown twice in a row while playing Rainbow Six Lockdown. My computer is watercooled (CPU, both GPU's, all HD's and the chipset). The CPU was only 32C or 89* Fahrenheit. The GPU's were running at 41C or at 105* F. That isn't the least bit hot. What the heck could be doing this?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

When you say shut down do you mean turned Off and did not re start itself?

3. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

It was like the power going off in your house. It just stopped. I pushed the button and it restarted fine, but shutdown again about 10-12 minutes later. I haven't turned it back on until I get some idea what is wrong with it.

4. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

Water Cooled??? Sounds too much like a “Thermal-shutdown” to me.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A software issue would almost always cause a restart.

A full instant power down is a hardware issue or a thermal issue.

Also suspect the Power Supply Unit.

6. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Does 89*F sound hot for a CPU? Or 105*F for the GPU's or 101*F for the case temperature? I have read where people were getting temp readings 50*F higher than mine. I think my setup is rather cool running. I will be really pissed off if the Antec PSU is no good. It is only 4 months old. I have been under the impression that these PSU's were the top dogs. I guess I'll buy another PSU in the morning and find out if that was really the problem. BTW, I just played Rainbow 6 for the last 45 minutes with no problems.

7. Leec65

Leec65

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Duplicate post...

http://forums.techguy.org/games/543295-computer-just-turned-off-like.html

Flowdrip, you might care to read the rules on duplicate posting?

Multiple Postings - It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once, or to post it in more than one forum. Choose the forum that your question or post best fits in, and place it there and only there. If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, use the "Report Thread" button at the bottom of the post and we'll move it. We also reserve the right to move posts to other forums and delete duplicates.

9. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Sorry Kiwiguy, I accidently wrote this thread under the "games" section which was not where it should of been. The proper place was the hardware section which is where I did it the second time. It won't happen again.

10. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Thanks for the PSU calculator Leec65. My setup rated out at 613W which doesn't give me a whole lot of extra power, but I do have enough power to run this rig.

11. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle

Some bios options have an option to shut down at a certain temp. But the way it sounds, l it could be power supply. I have also read that just a little leak from your water cool could short you out and shut you down.

12. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

It isn't a leak in the watercooling system because that kind of short would fry the mobo and I have used mine 3 different times since the problem occurred.

13. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle

This power supply (and most of the good ones) has the fail safe built in. It must be shutting down so it will not damage your mother board or anything else. I work on a computer that had somewhat good power supply and the fail safe, failed. It did take out the mother board. I tested the power supply and it passed with flying colors. But every time I plug it in (with the switch off) the lights in the room would flicker. And that happen in two different houses. I would not trust it.

You have a very good company that I would call support and ask what to do.

14. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

I used my computer for about 4 straight hours today w/o any problems. Maybe I have a self healing computer!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice