1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Shutdown while using line-in to copy taped music

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jhnpawl, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jhnpawl

Jhnpawl Thread Starter

My computer shuts down after 49min and 54 seconds while copying music from a reel to reel recorder using MusicMatch to create MP3 file in My Music folder. It does this when using other programs as well such as my Creative Audgy Player as well. Have 80 gig HD Internal and 80 gig External Western Digital HD , 1 Gig Mem running WinXP Home Edition with all updates, 1.8 Gig Mhz. Please help.

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Crash? or just Shut-Down?
    What happens when you restart?

3. Jhnpawl

Jhnpawl Thread Starter

Actually it doesn't shut completely down because the login name is on the screen and whenI select my name it takes me back to the Desktop so I am in error when I said shut down, sorry.

4. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Is there an error (Exclamation point) indicated next to your SB card in device manager? With more than one audio program having the problem, I'd check the soundcard. Is the card's fan working? I take it the 49 min, 54 sec is figurative, not literal.

5. coderitr

coderitr

It sounds like its just hibernating to save power. Do you start the recording then walk away until its finished or do you sit at the computer and do other things while it is going on? You can turn off the hibernation in the display properties on the screen saver tab under the "Power" button. I set mine to never in all categories.

6. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Coderitr-- I think you've got it. The way I read his post the first time, I thought his audio was shutting down.

7. Jhnpawl

Jhnpawl Thread Starter

Thanks, folks, while waiting for help I fooled around a bit and found that my SCREEN SAVER was the culpert. It was set to activate at 60minutes and my time setting on my computer was off 8 minutes. I just reset the Screen Saver NOT to activate for 9999 minutes and set my time to Greenwich or is it Sandwich time. Works great right now. I did go into the power setting and set them to "Do Nothing" as well. Anyway thanks loads for your help.

8. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Jhnpawl--- Thanks for posting back with the solution, most don't bother. Now anyone finding this thread later in a search will see what worked for you. Seems to me a thread with a lot of suggestions isn't worth much unless what worked to solve the problem gets posted.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/204038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice