1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bazzman15, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, my name is Josue and I have a problem I'm hoping someone can point me to a solution. I don't really know which thread to go to but here it is. I purchased all the components to basically build a new computer, except the hard drive. The first power supply I purchased literally blew up on me while playing a game. I purchased another one which it's holding good so far. The computer starts up fine and I can do things on it with ease except when I run anything that's graphics intense it shuts off within seconds of starting whatever it is I'm running. The only thing I found a bit odd was that the CPU Temperature at idle was around 50* C. Please, If anybody has dealt with this situation and know the solution or at least has an idea on why it's doing this your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.:)

System specs

Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Motherboard
    AMD FX 8320 3.5 Ghz CPU
    Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280 video card with 14.4 drivers
    16 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury RAM
    Ultra Glatiator case with 3 120mm fans
    900 watts Apevia Warlock PSU
    Used 500GB Seagate HD

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!!

That idle CPU temp seems a bit high. Did you use a quality heatsink compound and a decent heatsink? Is it mounted properly? It should be considerably cooler (~20 degrees) than that at idle ...

3. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

I used the heatsink that came with the CPU. Right now it's reading at about 39* C. I did a quick 20 minute stress test on the CPU and it ran without shutting off at a temp of 67* max. After that I replace the Gigabyte video card with the XFX 6750 I had before and I ran Unigine Valley benchmark. It ran kind of slow because of the lower specs of it but it ran twice without the system shutting off. I would you say it's the video card, wouldn't you?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It's a possibility. Was the CPU temp lower with the other card, too? Or the internal (inside the case) temp?

5. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

As a matter of fact it was, around 39*-40* . The case temp has been at constant 29*. I did some tweaking too. I lower the GPU core and memory frequencies 1072-5000Mhz to 900-4000Mhz and ran the whole Catzilla benchmark without the computer shutting off(y). Tried running the Unigine Valley one with these settings but no cigar;). I'm about to try running one of the games at these frequecies to see what happens.

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It sure sounds like it could be heat-related, still. How much case cooling do you have? Any extra fans installed?

7. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

It almost seems like the video card is too powerful for the system which I find hard to swallow. The PSU is a 900 watts with a 59 amp 12V rail. I don't know what or why this is happening but I think I have more than enough juice, memory and CPU power for me to have to lower the GPU frequencies. I tried to set this system up so I can play my games without a hitch and I can't even run them, what gives?:mad:

8. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

I have 3 120mm fans, one in the front, one in the back and one on the side panel plus the PSU fan. If you include that one that's four.

9. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

View attachment HWMonitor.txt

Is it possible that the video cad could be a bit under the voltage needed? I was looking at CPUID HWmonitor and I notice the 12V+ was actually putting out 8.256V. Is this normal?

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The +12V isn't the only thing that's low! Are these numbers equally low with either video card installed?

11. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

Good Question, I didn't think of checking that when i had the other card installed. Why could the +12V voltage possible be so low?:confused:

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Since all the voltages are low (the +5 is under 4, etc.), I'd suspect the program you're using. If, on the other hand, they appear normal with the other video card installed, I'd strongly suspect the card ...

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I can't help but think it is the poor quality psu. Everyone is so quick to accept 900 watts as being more than enough except what no one seems to be thinking is it doesn't matter how many watts the psu is rated for if it never hits the mark and a low quality psu won't provide consistent pure power to any system, not matter how many watts it is rated at. Try a 620 Seasonic or 650 XFX psu and watch the difference.

14. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

I was starting to think the same thing when I saw what I think are pretty substantial fluctuations in the CPU frequencies. It was jumping from 3.5Gz to 4.0Gz back down to 3.7Gz and any where in between. The only other PSU I have on hand is an 450watts Antec which is the one I had on my old system and a 500watts that came from a Dell XPS. I could try one of them but I doubt any of them hasve enough watts to run everything in the system right now. Any suggestions?

15. bazzman15

bazzman15 Thread Starter

The craziest thing happen this morning. I swapped the current power supply with the one I had before in my old computer( the 450 watts) and wouldn't you know, the games played without the computer shutting off. I didn't think it would have enough watts to run the system, boy was I wrong. I guess I'll be returning that "Apevia 900 watts PSU" back to Amazon. I'm currently downloading the rest of my games to see how everything goes and I'll post a respond as soon as possible. Thanks for your quick response, I really appreciate it. Thanks Rich-M, your response prompt me to try the other PSU.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice