1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ronj34, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronj34

ronj34 Thread Starter

I am having trouble with my computer unexpectedly shutting down.I think maybe the cpu is over heating. Anyone know at what temperature should the cpu be running at. I am using Windows XP.:confused:

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening You might try running Everest Home and navigating to Computer > Sensors page then copying and pasting that page in here.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    It shows temps and voltages.
    qldit.

3. ronj34

ronj34 Thread Starter

D'day qldit. Yes I already checked the sensor and the cpu is running at 92c (198f) that is what made me think I need a new fan on the cpu

4. qldit

qldit

G'day ronj34, gee that certainly is way up there, definitely needs looking into.
    I would be inclined to not operate it if that is a real figure!
    Dependent on the processor type the temps are different but the essence of commonsense tells you that anything above 60 deg c is cause for concern.
    qldit.

5. ronj34

ronj34 Thread Starter

Hi qldit, the cpu type is intel pen4e.3000mhz (15 200} If I dont get back to you it's shut down again

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would check my temps in BIOS under PC Health status for more accurate temps. I use Everest home but have learned that the temps it reports are not very accurate most times

7. steveb1492

steveb1492

If thats the actual temp, dont run the comp until you do something about it!!!

Try opening the case and see if the CPU fan is spinning. Also, use some compressed air to blow the dust off from around your heatsink.

8. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

If you can get it to idle at around 50°C you're probably doing okay.
    In the nineties you've got a good chance of ending up with a blob of glass where your processor used to be. :D
    The pentium 4 does run relatively hot and is a pretty tough processor, but if you're getting shutdowns and those kind of temperatures you're definitely "hurting it."

You might need more than "a new fan", like a better heatsink / fan combination altogether (optimally mounted of course).
    Also check your case / motherboard temperatures.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

If that number is real or anywhere near real, I would bet you need to replace heat/synch and fan, or at least remove and really clean, and then refresh the cpu greatse between it and cpu.

10. qldit

qldit

Good Morning All, well ronj34, the concensus is obviously to worry like hell!
    Some major problem with the way the heat is removed from the processor assy.
    It may be a heatsink interface problem, heat transfer compound, processor cooling fan, airflow restriction, fan control system, or the gates of hell aclimatising for your machine.

At least a Pentium has that shutdown ability, but it does resemble "Russian Roulette"in the long term.

Also, do a decent malware investigation, extraneous operation may contribute to duty cycle.

You have created much interest in your problem, could you please make a special point of letting us know what you found was the problem.
    My "databank" on most of these machines is close to zero!
    (Actually that is across the board for anything requiring mental recall!!)LOL!
    Cheers, qldit.

11. ronj34

ronj34 Thread Starter

Hey Everyone, Thanks for all the advice. I will be having a look in the box today and I will let you know the results when and if I get back on line again.

12. ronj34

ronj34 Thread Starter

Hi Guys. Well I opened up the box and gave it a good blast with the compressed air. There was a heap of gunk around the cpu fan and other places. The cpu temp is now down to 48-50c. So with a bit of luck that was the problem, I'll just have to wait and see. thanks again for all your suggestions.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey great news...

14. qldit

qldit

Very well done!
    There must have been a fair accumulation for it to be so dramatic.
    Interesting to know, thanks.
    qldit.

15. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Yeah, i'm surprised too.
    Platypus or two wedged in the air intakes?

Get a regular cleaning regime together...... you know it makes sense. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice