Computer shuts down at random

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jimzdat

Abit SE6 mainboard
PIII 800 EB processor
512 MB SDRAM
Western Digital 40GB HDD
Maxtor 15GB HDD
Creative 6x DVD
HP 9300 CDRW
Case w/250W power supply

I actually have other hardware as well, but it is currently not installed while troubleshoting:
-3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
-USR performance Pro modem
-Soundblaster Live! value
-3Com NIC
-DVD decoder card

I removed all peripheral cards while troubleshooting this problem:
The computer just shuts down at random,sometimes it'll let me click on things for a few minutes, others it crashes as soon
as I click on something.
I had a harddisk failure, so I was reinstalling a new HDD when this problem came up--I went on vacation for two weeks
Came back and the puter wouldn't boot--found bad HDD and replaced, reloaded all equipment, ran into this problem
Suspected hardware, tried new drivers--no luck
reformatted c:- removed above cards, reinstalled win98SE--problem still exists
Speculating on these items:
mainboard bad
RAM bad
Power supply dying

Any ideas?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi jimzdat, I think the power supply may be too small for all of your hardware.....

Try running for awhile with just the main hard drive and see if the shutdowns persist.

Also, I'd be suspicious of a potential overheating situation, especially with that many drives, the heat can build up fast.

Hi
Also check that the PSU fan is spinning, if it is, try cleaning the dust out of it, if it is not spinning then there is your trouble and do the same for the CPU fan.
Carefully blow away any dirt and dust from the mobo.
Remove and re-insert the RAM.

Mike

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online