1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down everytime i turn it on

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sithtradmus, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithtradmus

Sithtradmus Thread Starter

okay, after a long time of shutting off with the power button, its come back to me...

i didn't think it would damage the computer, because i thought hey, they put it there for a reason right?

Nope, now every time i turn it on, it goes to login screen, and shuts down *Regularly, logs off, says shutting down..' cuts off anything i could possibly do...

i tried to run in safe mode, but it freezes at the disk.sys driver....then it gives me the vista installagtion screen....

I have so much stuff on my computer, i CANT reset it, i cant restart it, some of the stuff such as videos, pictures of my great grandfather, etc... are NOT replaceable....

Every time i try to run cmd prompt, and try to run chkdsk *Cant do it from the system properties as computer shuts down before then* it says the system is right protected...

so one time i got lucky and managed to click check for bad sectors and recover through the system befre it shut off, ok, computer shut down, restarted, it didnt even check for a second, just told me *this computer is clean* without even checking it....

I will NEVER turn it off from the power switch again, its just when i put it in sleep mode it turns on for no reason, and i get tired of it so i just hold down the switch...

Everything works fine, i can get into the account, nothings missing, all my programs, everything, it's just vista makes it shut down, and i dont know why...

in safe mode and services restore they both stopped at disk.sys, so im figuring that's whats corrupt or making the computer restart....

please, please someone help me, i have the past 4 years of my life on that hard drive, and i cant afford to loose it, i would have no problem restoring if i could get a few key files off the hdd, but it shuts off before i could do anything...

for anyone having trouble imagining it, it's like this, starts up, everythings normal, click profile, log in....as soon as the login screen starts, i have a certain amount of time before the computer automatically shuts down...

i click my profile, see everything, then, things close, then it goes to the blueish screen and says 'shutting down...' i see the spinning icon, and it says 'logging off', then shuts down..

im not a computer noob, i know about reg., cmd, everything so if there's any possible solution please, for the love of god help me cause i stress to you all there's files on my hdd i cant replace and desperately need, and my settings and reg. key hacks and everything...

thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    focusing on getting the data off -
    UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
    1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
    2) Install ubuntu
    3) Check CD for defects
    4) Test memory
    5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
    XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
    Vista look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

If you still have issues mounting the harddrive:
    On the main menu of Ubuntu, there's an option to Check CD for defects. I ran this and was able to mount the C Drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!