1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down, fans speed up and down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenEight, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrokenEight

BrokenEight Thread Starter

Good day,

Sorry for the vague title, i'll be as precise as I can describing my problems.

First of all, whenever I start my computer, more often than not, the fans go full speed, I can use my computer normally until it heavily slows down, the sound when playing music is messed up, and there it happens, the shut down. This usually happens after 10 to 15 minutes after startup.

But here's the thing. When I start it up again after that, it works fine, fans are quiet, everything runs as smoothly as it can. Not a single issue. So, that's the first problem.

Now, the other issue I encounter, is that one of my fans, speeds up, and down, and up, and down, whenever I launch Steam. Not a game, just Steam. And it'll do that, until I close it. It happened before for one specific game, but I thought it was, well, an issue with that game only. Now it does it whenever I launch Steam.

Any ideas about the why and how to fix it ? Thanks for time you took reading.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Famille, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8144 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 920 GB (642 GB Free); D: 9 GB (3 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Alienware, 07JNH0
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you have an Alienware Aurora R4 desktop.
    What's the 7-character service tag number on yours?

Its Intel processor and NVIDIA graphic card use a combined total of 325W of power.
    What's the wattage of the power supply unit in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. BrokenEight

You got that right. How do I find out any of these infos ?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    All Dell/Alienware computers have a "service tag" number and "express service code" number on the labels/stickers on its case.
    Those numbers are used to confirm the computer's identity and what hardware came in it.

Have you modified or changed any of the hardware in yours?
    I doubt yours came with the power-hungry graphic card you have listed in your TSGSIU log.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  5. BrokenEight

Where can I find these stickers ? The only thing that was modified is the cooling system, the default one died pretty quickly. Graphic card is the same.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I advised you in post #4 where those numbers can be found.
    We know nothing about the power supply unit that came in your Alienware, but I'm surprised such a power-hungry graphic card came in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. --nknm--

--nknm--

I suggest you try SpeedFan software to adjust your computers fan speed.

8. BrokenEight

Oh, on the case, my bad. D01m004 if i'm not mistaken. And I can see 100-240 V. Not sure i've provided the right numbers.

9. BrokenEight

And for the SppedFan software, I downloaded it. I'm trying to figure out how to configure it. Found a video explaining it, but i've had different settings appearing for me.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the Dell support site, D01M004 is not a correct service tag number.

I did a little more research, and it appears the Alienware Aurora R4 desktop comes with a 875W power supply.
    If that's what yours has, it should be okay to handle the power demands of its hardware.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  11. BrokenEight

It's a pretty old desktop, this problem didn't occur before. All of these issues look arbitrary. First boot, shut down, but the second one ? All good. And no other software seem to make that one fan speed up and down like that.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    We're not there to see how you use it and how well you maintain it and what's installed and running in it, so there could be any number of reasons for its issues.

13. BrokenEight

I wish I had more details really. I clean it regularly. For what's installed, video games, that's pretty much it, a few utility software to keep it clean. The shutting down problem is from a while back, the fan going crazy happened today. Thank you for taking some time to help.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Unfortunately those issues feel like motherboard dying issues but since indicative of power could also be Psu issues. 875 watts sounds like more than enough even degraded over time but you never know. Is it possible to try another Psu in that? If another psu makes no difference then the board is the issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice