1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down for no reason!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by K-Fed, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite computer and when I run it wireless it seems to shut down for no reason at all. I can use it for about a half hour and then it will turn off and when I turn it back on it will shut down about 10-15 min later.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Have you cleaned the fan and heat sink recently?

3. K-Fed

K-Fed Thread Starter

nope I haven't, I'm not even sure how to do that or what a heat sink is. :)

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

On a Toshiba Satellite, there should be a panel (1 or 2 screws) underneath with a fan and a copper pipe looking thing (heat sink) inside. Unscrew/remove the heat sink and fan assemly very carefully (don't touch the motherboard or processor under the heat sink). The fan should be connected to the motherboard with a very small power cable, if you don't have the dexterity to put it back, I wouldn't recommend taking that out. It is normal to have silvery/gray goop on the processor and heat sink, don't wipe it off, it's thermal paste. You should see vents in the heat sink, if they are covered with a fuzzy, burnt dust carpet, take it off. Begin removing dust from inside the vents and around the fan with compressed air. When the whole thing is somewhat clean, put it back in the way it was.

5. natcom

natcom

Dr. Chauncey good luck with your A+

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!