Computer Shuts Down on Bootup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

teddytech

I was constantly getting the following massages:
A required .dll file, Point32.dll was not found;
A required .dll file c:\windows\system\OLEDLG.DLL
was not found;
Cannot find the file c:\windows\rundll32.exe
I installed a virus detection software because I thought maybe the computer was hit with one of the recent viruses. During the reboot process, the computer shut off automatically. I tried to reboot several times but I have not had any luck. What should be my next step to try to fix this problem?

For starters try rebooting in safe mode and uninstalling the virus software causing the problem; you may also want to restore the previous registry -- which can be done easily if you have Win98.

To start in safe mode, tap the f8 key repeatedly as soon as the computer begins booting. You will see a Boot Menu with safe mode as an option.

If you are unable to resolve the immediate problem by an uninstall and have Win98, select the "safe mode command prompt" from the Boot Menu. At the c:\> prompt, enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started prior registry from one of the 4 that you see.

Your problems may have been virus caused. If you can get on line there is an online scanner that you can use, as well as other antivirus software that might be more compatible.

The pointer32.dll is mousware related.

The rundll32 missing may be due to the Sircam worm and may need to be restored using the System File Checker (win98) or by other means.

teddytech

I will try this and see what happens. How would I go about restoring the System File Checker?

The System File Checker is only available in Win98 and 98SE. Do not rely on it to detect "corrupt or altered" files, it mistakes updated ones for bad ones and you need to verify independently before restoring files.

Here are some basic instructions for using it to extract and replace a file you want to restore:

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online