1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down on its own

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by manky28, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Hello, I am helping someone can give me some advice please :)

I have an E Systems Laptop, spec details: Intel Celeron M440 1.86 GHz, 512MB DDRII 533RAM, Intel 943GML with up to 128MB shared memory supports intel GMA950. 80GB S-ATA HDD. Running Vista Business. I have to be honest I have no idea what most of this means so if you dont need it my apologies, I thought it best to include it in :)

Basically my laptop shuts down on its own whenever I am trying to run any type of disc programe or movie making program, one in particular my daughter plays on is Barbie so I assume this takes up a lot of memory whilst using this. It also shuts down when I am trying to produce a movie in WMM, it gets to about 10 out of 30mins for producing the movie and it just turns off, no warning or anything. I also get the same when trying to produce a movie with another program. This has only recently started to happen although I have to say the machine has been rather slow recently. I dont think this is due to over heating as my computer has done that for a long time anyway, this seems to be something different.

I currently have 5GB memory space out of 69GB on C drive (when i look at 'computer'). Not sure if this may have something to do with it? but it didnt seem a problem over the last few weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do here please? I have heard about registry programs but not sure if this will solve my problem or im looking at somethign a little more severe.

Many thanks in advance, your help will be very much appreciated :)

Amy

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

512 MB of RAM for Vista is surely not enough. You need at least 1 GB and preferably 2 GB. Your computer will always be running slow as a snail.

3. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Thanks Phantom010, the computer came with Vista on it (3 years ago) but I have heard this since about it needing more RAM. It is my plan to buy some more RAM soon but I havent had this problem until very recently with it shutting down, do you think it maybe something to do with this?

Many thanks

Amy

4. Phantom010

Do you get any blue screen?

Does the computer reboot on its own or at least will it boot immediately when you push the button?

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Windows Vista

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To, then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows Vista will compress (zip) the file and save the new zipped file in the same place as the original file.

If you don't have permission to do it from the Minidump folder, right-click on a minidump file and select Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

From the desktop, try zipping the file again.

If still no luck, disable the UAC.

5. Phantom010

Please forget about those programs. They won't fix anything and will make matters worst.

6. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Hi, I have received the blue screen whilst trying to install another CD Rom (games one) recently so I just gave up trying to use it, but this is the only time I've had the blue screen.

I tried doing the Zip file but it says that there are no files in there so it cannot compress it! Would it make any difference if i'm running other files at the same time?

The computer doesnt restart on its own after its shut down, and i've got to be honest i'm not sure about it restarting as soon as the button is pressed. I know it doesnt when my computer does over heat but I'm not sure when it shuts when i'm publishing a movie. I've tried doing one this evening to see what happens but as typical as it is it didnt turn off! I will get back to you once i've managed to do this but this will most likely be tomorrow now.

Can you let me know about the files when it tells me there are none in there and what I should do now?

Thanks for the info on the registry :)

Thanks also for your help here, I appreciate it.

7. Phantom010

To create minidump files the next time you get a BSOD,
    1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    4. Put a check mark on Automatically restart.

8. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Hi sorry but can you just confirm what a BSOD is? Is that a blue screen?

Thanks.

9. Phantom010

Yes, it's a Blue Screen Of Death. [​IMG]

10. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Hi, sorry its taken so long to get back to you but I have been waiting for the BSOD but its not happened. Bascially the BSOD only happens now and again when I am trying to run a disk, this is a very rare problem. My main problem is that the computer just shuts down when trying to run other programs such as publishing movies and also recently another one is when I plug my camera into the USB and its transferring pictures/movies it shuts down....its like it just can't cope with it anymore. You previously asked if I could switch it on straight away after the computer shut down and to answer this I cannot, its basically like it overheats but it happens even if its not been on for very long.

Have you any ideas what this could possibly be...its starting to drive me nuts, hehe :)

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Amy

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Amy:

You're running Windows Vista and putting system-hungry loads on a computer that has a low-end Intel Celeron 1.86 GHz processor and a measly 512 MB of RAM(minus what the on-board display adapter is using), so it's no surprise that your computer is fighting back and bogging down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Memory Details for the EI System Laptop 3103

Standard Memory: 256 MB or 512 MB or 1 GB (Removable)

Maximum Memory: 2 GB

Total Memory Slots: 2

Memory Type: DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200) 200-pin SODIMM

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12. manky28

manky28 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help :) So basically I need to upgrade it or get a new one as its slowly dying? If I upgraded the memory do you believe in your experiance this would stop the shut downs and run faster?

The memory type you have given me above, is this the info I would need to buy some new memory?

Thanks for your help :)

Amy

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Adding more RAM will definitely speed things up. There's no guarantee though that it'll stop the shutdown problem. They may be a hardware-related or some other problem going on that we're not aware of.

The RAM module description that I gave you is what I found on-line and which coincides with what you posted in your original comments. The best way to confirm that the correct RAM modules get installed is to take your laptop to a computer shop and have a technician do it. Some laptops are more difficult to replace RAM modules than others, so that might be your best bet anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice