1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shuts down randomly..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by denise16, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denise16

denise16 Thread Starter

Problem: So after about 15 minutes my computer will just shut down, or sometimes the screen will freeze permanently (mouse doesn't move on the screen and video or music stops) but the screen just usually goes black, so i have to shut off with the button.The weirdest thing is that if i open it right away, the screen will be all black ! After that, if i wait a while, it opens as if nothing happened, but then the same thing happens again.. it'll just shut down without warning.

I had this other problem months ago where i couldn't even open my computer (the screen was all black) but i got someone to reinstall windows for me (i'm not really willing to reinstall it again..) and it was working fine, until now..

So I've tried
    : rebooting, system restore, scanning my computer and some of the options when pressing f8 or f12 when first opening. Right now i'm on safe mode, and it's not closing ! But i need a solution that more long term..i just found out there's not volume on safe mode...

here is all the info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, x86 Family 15 Model 79 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 447 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405, 1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 151064 MB, Free - 89347 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, EM61SM/EM61PM , ,
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

please help tech guys :( </3 ,thankyou in advance !

2. denise16

denise16 Thread Starter

Oh and i was just wondering, could this be cause by the fans not working correctly ?

3. surferdude2

surferdude2

Hi Denise,

The symptoms you describe can indeed be caused by an overheating CPU. If your fans are not working properly or if there is any obstruction to the air flow through the heat exchanger (heat sink) then you will need to address those issues immediately before permanent damage results.

4. sepala

sepala

agree with surfedude2. I have had this error once and I know how it feels. This error is strong enough to destroy the MotherBoard. And apart from that, I have heard that this can happen because of insufficient power supply (Something like giving 250w to a machine which needs 450w)

5. denise16

denise16 Thread Starter

Thanks for answering ! I've been on for a while and everything seems to be okay for now.. i'm REALLY surprised. but i'm not sure if i can say problem solved just yet..

6. sepala

sepala

You have to deal with that hardware problem as soon as possible. I also thought My machine was OK, but it wasn't. Some times the error stopped for about 1 or 2 weeks and then came back. So deal with the HardWare problem

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!