1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer "shuts down" suddenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mitjko, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Hi, I have following problem:

When working on my computer it turns off suddenly, but it is not a full shut down (like when you pull out ppower cord), instead monitor becomes balck (green LED is still ON) and LED on computer case is ON indicating it is working, but no other activity. Hard disk is no active and I don´t hear FAN anymore. My only solution is to press power button and hold for a few seconds and then computer shuts down. Then, when I try to reboot computer simply stop reacting before memory testing and waits for something. After a minute or two it continue booting. Sometimes it boots normaly and works normaly. What could be a reason?
    Configuration is :
    Windows XP,
    Pentium 4 2.66 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    3 partition 55 GB, 46.8 and 9 GB

I hope it is because of some software nad not hardware fault. Does anyone have similar experience? I have searchd the board but didn't find anything to solve my problem.

Thanks very much

2. JohnLF

JohnLF

Sounds almost like it is going into standby or something. How long has it been happening? Any changes to your system? Any overclocking?
    John

3. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

My kids only installed some software games and etc...
    I didn't do any overclocking, and that is happening when work on internet, usually when internet explorer is on.
    I really don't know what is causing this.

Thanks for help.

4. Domer_und

Domer_und Guest

Does it seem to happen after a set amount of time, or is it random?

Domer

5. JohnLF

JohnLF

Silly question, but you do have up-to-date anti-virus don't you?
    John

6. qldit

qldit

G'day Mitjko, I would be inclined to suspect a virus problem also John.
    You might try AVG free, and also give "Smartcop" free a try, both obtainable off the net.
    I have seen the kind of problem you describe frequently and found the installed A/V was full of problems.
    It would also be an idea to try Adaware and Sptbot S&D, this covers the overlap from virus to various other definitions.
    These are probably best run in "safe mode" which can be accessed by hitting F8 during boot, this generally allows a better scan.
    When you clean your system, do a scandisk and defrag then see if your problem remains.
    Cheers, qldit.

7. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Thanks for replies guys, I'm using AntiVir Guard and it's up to date. I'm relly suspicious about virus issue because lately computer randomly restart and then when bios is loaded, during POST just before memory checking it simply freezes and wait for 3-4 minutes and then continue loading OS, do memory checking and IDE drives detecting. I never heard for virus with that behaviour.
    It´s really strange. it started happening before few months and now is more frequently. At first I didn't pay much attention but now is really annoying.
    If someone had similar experience please give me some advice. Should I format my hard disk or what?

Thanks very much for help.

8. qldit

qldit

G'day Mitjko, The delay you mention is often associated with the computer searching for something which it can't easily locate, or it could be something which for one reason or another is giving odd replies to the auto detection.
    I would be inclined to disconnect all the drives and peripherals and observe if the problem is as you mention prior to the detection routine.
    The memtest86 program will pick a memory defect faster than a snotty nose.
    It certainly works well.
    Just this morning I ran a test and picked two sticks out of three that had problems, this had resulted in an improper load of windows and was a nuisance for the owner.
    The memory test on the windows installation disk is pretty useless, although it does appear to tell that there is memory installed!
    If you can obtain another hard drive you might try experimenting and loading another system.
    Another problem that sometimes surfaces is the CMOS battery, this usually gives a bit of indication by time being lost but can eventually affect all the other settings.
    Just because you have a commercial A/virus kept up to date, do not trust it, I often find major infections in the best systems with the best name A/V's. I suspect some viruses target them.
    Cheers, qldit.

9. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Thnaks for advices I run scandisk, disk defragmenter lavasoft ad-aware, reg cleaner and yesterday all day computer didn't restart itself. I hope it will stay that way, however it's still slow and it seems I'll have to format hard disk.
    Thanks once again

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice