1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shuts down when hot!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlp5878, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlp5878

jlp5878 Thread Starter

My computer is shuting down on me because it is over heating I think?? But the fan still runs it is blowing out hot air though?? So does the fan need to be replaced or is it something else??:confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what the temp in doors?
    wheres the machine housed - has it got plenty of airflow
    do you have any case fans ?

3. jlp5878

jlp5878 Thread Starter

It is in an airconditioned room on my desk. And I apologize now cause this may be a stupid question but what is a case fan??

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its a fan that is in the case
    often PC's come with just a fan in the powersupply and a CPU fan
    and often its good to have fans in the case at the front and at the back to force air through the case.

it would be good to make sure all the fans you can see around the case are all running

I ask about temp mainly because we could be at record temperatures in the UK today - and its very hot expected 39C

so its been in a room working fine and the room aircon so no change there and now its getting hot and shutting down

do you have an aboard temp sensor software running to monitor temp

have you opened the box and looked at the CPU fan at all

It may just want a good vacuum {avoid static and dislodging cables etc } clean out

5. jlp5878

jlp5878 Thread Starter

I have opened it up it is kinda dusty in there! We are at record temps here on in th united states to on the east coast! I think there is only one fan in there to. And I don't think have a temp sensor software either?? The fan runs but it is blowing really hot air!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well if the room is aircon then then nothing changed really in ambient temp - so something must have changed on the PC - i would give a really good clean all the fans - should have at lease two - one in the PSU where it mounts onthe case and on over the CPU - give them a good clean
    how old is the PC
    you may see the temp in the bios when it switches off - reboot and have look in the bios see if you cna see a pc health area

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice