1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down when I remove USB device!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pistol Slap, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pistol Slap

Pistol Slap Thread Starter

When I remove my memory cards from the USB device, the computer shuts down in an orderly manner, as if I'd selected Shut Down from the start menu! It does not happen every time, but it is a pissoff when I'm working on something to have the computer shut itself down just because I removed a device. Also, it doesn't happen every single time.

I've looked around for answers on this and haven't gotten anything other than a mention to update my usb drivers, but i cant seem to find an individual usb driver package at all.

What can I do about this? It's too much.

2. raybro

raybro

Are you doing the safe removal sequence before you remove the USB device?

3. Pistol Slap

Pistol Slap Thread Starter

No, the safe removal sequence isn't necessary with PC since it's only on mac that the stick is in continuous interaction with the computer -- on a pc it's inactive when not being used.

I've never used the safe removal sequence, and this is the first time in ten years this problem has happened, so it's something else.

4. raybro

raybro

Not my experience, but to each his own. I suggest you at least give it a try just to eliminate it as a possibility. There are so many variables in computer functions, seemingly unrelated factors can have unusual effects.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice