1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts down when I try to use scanner & memory stick reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cann, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cann

cann Thread Starter

Just upgraded my computer, and ever since I got it back, it shuts down everytime I try to use the scanner or memory stick reader. Have no clue what the problem is. Any help?? I don't really know much about computers!!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) what make/model of scanner/reader.

2) what OS

3) what did you upgrade

4) any error messages?

5)

3. cann

cann Thread Starter

Scanner is an Espon 1260

Reader is a SOny memory stick reader for digital camera

I got more memory, and something else so the computer doesn't freeze up as much.

No error signs at all

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system?

5. cann

cann Thread Starter

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Hp would be the brand name.....the Operating system would be windows 98, windows xp, etc

7. cann

cann Thread Starter

Like I said I know nothing about computers! It's windows 98.

8. slipe

slipe

Hi – welcome to TSG.

What those two have in common are the USB connections and the TWAIN files.

Look at the USB first. Do you have anything else plugged into the computer with the same type of plug? If you do, try a device that is working in one of the plugs for the scanner or card reader.

If you don’t have another USB device to try in the plugs look in device manager. Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Go down to Universal Serial bus controllers and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs beside it. Double click on it. Your card reader should probably be listed along with the universal host controller and root hub. If you have at least the last two items without any marks your USB is likely working. If there are any warning marks don’t go any further and get back with what you see.

You might also go Start>Settings>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras to make sure your scanner is listed there. If your card reader wasn’t listed in device manager it could be there as well.

If the TWAIN drivers get corrupted devices dependent on twain drivers will have problems. The problem is that since various things can share the twain files they don’t uninstall when you uninstall the software, and they don’t get overwritten with good twain files with an install. What you have to do is uninstall the Epson software, remove the twain files and reinstall the Epson software. That is your best bet for getting back up and running.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Find the Epson scanner software and highlight it. Then select Add/Remove and it will walk you through uninstalling it.

These are instructions for removing the TWAIN and TWUNK files from Mustek. Make sure you remove all of the TWAIN and TWUNK files in the Windows folder but do not remove any that are not in the Windows folder:

Windows 95/98/Me Instructions
    1. Click on Start and select Find. Choose Files or Folders from the fly-out menu.
    2. In the Find dialogue box type twain.
    3. Make sure the Look In window has the C:\ drive selected and that the Include All Subfolders box is checked.
    4. Click Find Now.
    5. The lower part of the Find window will display the search results. Click on the Edit menu and choose Select All. (NOTE: Other programs, like Adobe PhotoShop have TWAIN files that will be found during the search. When all the files are highlighted, hold the CTRL key and click any TWAIN files located in other program directories, like Adobe PhotoShop, this will remove them from the highlighted selection. Only the TWAIN files located in the Windows directories should be removed.)
    6. With all of the TWAIN files selected, click on File and select Delete.
    7. Answer Yes and Yes to All to confirm the file deletion and send them to the Recycle Bin.
    8. Once all the files are deleted, click the Find dialog box again and replace twain with twunk.
    9. Click Find Now again.
    10. As before, click on Edit and Select All then File and Delete.
    11. Answer Yes and Yes to All to confirm the file deletion and send them to the Recycle Bin.
    12. The TWAIN and twunk files are now removed and you can install the new driver

If you install the Epson software it will add the proper twain and twunk files.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice