Computer Shuts Down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

duff151

I have an issue with my computer shutting down anywhere between 1 to10 minutes after I start up. The system was built by a friend. I have a pentium 4 1.8 with 1GB of Ram. My video card is a Radeon 9550. I know enough about computers to be dangerous. Can anyone help?:(

Random shut-downs are usually attributed to one of two things.

Overheating

Lack of power from Power Supply

Easiest to check is to go into BIOS, then go to the PC Health section, and check temperatures and the power output. Check for high temperatures, or fluxuating power readings.

There are also programs that will check various component temperatures, but the names of those escape me at the moment.

Let us know what you find

-Gonz

Upon start up it will say enter setup, dependin on the OS it might be the F2 button or DEL button just hit the designated button and it will bring you to the BIOS.

duff151

What is a normal temp? I am currently reading:

System Temp 38C/100F
CPU 39C/102F
CPUFan 4963 RPM
My system Fan 1 and 2 are showing 0 RPM

duff151

Well, I was running a household fan into the computer in order to get to the BIOS Screen. The computer ran fine until I turned off the household fan and then it shutdown again. Does thi help explain my problem?

Those are fine at idle (when your system isnt under stress)

Did the voltage readings fluxuate alot?

-Gonz

Your Temp looks goods. I think your fan is a third party fan, because most of the CPU Fan will show the RPM. Gonzo say is right. Overheating or Lack of PWS will cause auto shutdown, and also lack of RAM (but less happen on this). If you are using windows XP pro, once you boot-up go and check your event viewer (in control panel "administrative tools" than choose "system" on your left panel see any RED indicator shows up and see what goes wrong with your system.

duff151

The voltage readings only changed by .02. As for the event viewer, I get "unable to complete the operation on "System". the interface is unknown.

duff151

I was able to get into the event/system and the error that came up was was this:

The ScReg SetValueExW call failed for start with the following error: Access is Denied.

ANybody know what this means

duff151

It looks like it shuts down whenever I try and play a game of sorts. I can play Medal of Honor for about 1-8 minutes before it shuts down. Is my video card bad, how can I tell what is overheating? Help me Obi-Wan konobi.

Well, I was running a household fan into the computer in order to get to the BIOS Screen. The computer ran fine until I turned off the household fan and then it shutdown again.
That pretty much says it all. Something is overheating. First thought would be CPU fan either not spinning or spinning too slow. (maybe not plugged into proper connector?) Usually labeled as CPUfan on motherboard. Also check the power supply fans as a power supply can run for weeks sometimes with their fans out. That will put a lot of heat into the case.

hmm... can it be your game core itself? i'm facing this problem before when i play A3. If CPU overheating it will shutdown your PC when it reach certain level. AGP card seldom get if you didn't make overclock, or the fan is not functioning but this is low chances. Driver conflict? Hardware compatibility? IRQ conflict? or systems error? you get that msg from the event viewer looks like you have some services refuse to start normally.

duff151

I think I have narrowed it down to the power supply since I can't get it to start up any more. Next question is how difficult is it to replace a power supply? Also, I currently have or I should say had a 300W power supply should I boost it up some?

A good 350 Watt should be fine with that system. Assuming you are not going to add a bunch of Hard Drives or a huge power hungry vid card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online