1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shuts off 20 secs after power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snoopy49ers, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snoopy49ers

snoopy49ers Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    i'm having some problems with a compaq deskpro, it has a PIII 600 Mhz,128 MB mem, 20 gig western digital HD, all of the parts have been replaced and are brand new, exept for the power supply. When i turn on the computer it goes into post and for as far as 15 - 20 seconds can afford to boot up. After the 15 secs the video goes blank, the power LED in the front panel turns from green to red and starts blinking. the computer will not respond. I have checked all the connections and everythying looks good inside. any ideas? i have never seen this problem before. have anyh of you guys?

2. patch-man

patch-man

Is it happening at the same point in the POST every time? I would try removing all accessories (printers, modems, etc.) and removing all cards from the PC and see if that changes in any way. It may also be possible that the fan in the power supply isn't working, and a sensor is shutting it down. If none of this works, let us know and I'll try to come up with some other ideas.

3. snoopy49ers

i know that the fan in the power supply works. Nothing is connected to it, the only cards it has is the NIC, it has a cd rom, floppy and HD, everything else is integrated in the Mother Board. I forgot to mention that if put in a boot disk or a Boot CD it will boot from them but like i said, after 15 or 20 secs it will stop working, it doesn't power down only suspends any activity, the power to everything but that LED goes out.

4. patch-man

patch-man

So, the lockup is occurring after POST is complete, and it starts to boot for about 15-20 seconds. Is it always the exact same amount of time? Or is it 15 seconds this time, 18 seconds next time, etc.?

5. snoopy49ers

most of the time is just 15 seconds after i press the power button, but after i leave it alone for the night, it takes longer on the first try, maybe even 25 seconds. but after that i will fluctuate between 10 and 15 seconds

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would check the cpu temperature and be sure the fans inside are spinning.....seeing how it runs longer when you start from a cold startup.....

7. patch-man

patch-man

The only thing similar to this that I have seen was a Deskpro that had a flaky SCSI card causing it randomly do what you are describing. Keep checking back here, someone must have better ideas than me :confused: :(

8. snoopy49ers

All the fans inside work and blowing hard, i can't check the CPU temp because the time it takes to go into setup is to long and the computer goes down by that time

9. patch-man

patch-man

Given the fact that it will lock up even in BIOS, it definatally points to a hardware problem. Why did you have all the part replace? Was it to fix this problem, or is that when this problem started?

10. ~Candy~

Can you disconnect the cdrom and hard drive, and try again.....does the cpu feel too hot to touch? Also, pull the nic card.......

How many ram chips do you have?

11. snoopy49ers

i unpluged the NIC, HD, CDROM and started the computer up. the post will detect that the devices have been disconected and 3 errors appear the 641, 1782 and the 601, but i tried more times to see if the errors come up, but this time the non system disk error comes up. when in fact nothing is connected to it. I have only 1 ram chip. The computer worked fine then it started to do that so i changed one part at a time and no luck.

12. ~Candy~

Can you access the bios now? or is it still shutting down?

13. snoopy49ers

still shuting down, The computer would start up normally, it is just that after that time, it goes dead.

14. ~Candy~

Do you have access to another power supply?

15. snoopy49ers

not at hand, but will try to get one this weekend

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice