1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shuts off (Dies completely) randomly

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pet_lioness, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pet_lioness

pet_lioness Thread Starter

it seems to happen most often when playing video or playing facebook games of any type. there is no warning the computer is just OFF. it has done this in safe mode as well and i wasn't even watching video or playing any games then. the only time it has done this before it was over heated. now sometimes it is hot and others it is not so it really seems random. no viruses, no malware, regular maintenance is kept up. if i can find a solution other than formatting the machine that would be great, or at least knowing if formatting would do me any good at all. i have downloaded hijack this and the TSGInfo follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 183119 MB, Free - 107917 MB; H: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 765073 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO, N/A, N/A
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If it is overheating, then buy a can of compressed air and blow out the dust in your fan and heatsink. When a system overheats, the system will shutdown to protect itself.

3. pet_lioness

it is acting as if it has overheated, but this is not the case most of the time. usually when it shuts off it is barely warm much less actually hot. it has even done it in sfe mode with nothing running so i dont think it has anything to do with the actual temp.

4. pet_lioness

btt please

5. Megabite

Megabite

Does it do the same when running just off the battery

6. pet_lioness

i dont even have a battery for it so i dont know, it is always connected directly to power supply

7. pet_lioness

8. pet_lioness

i haven't received any further information so i decided that i should offer more information that i just got... the hard drive is now warning of an imminent failure. i would love to be able to run a bug fix or some repair operation to save the drive if possible. can that be done? repairing a failing drive? anyone have thoughts or ideas? ill be glad to provide any information you need. thanks

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

A hard drive is not user serviceable. If you got a SMART warning that it is going to fail, then go back up your data. There usually isn't much time left.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice